Coxlease School in Hampshire is a specialist day school for boys and girls aged 9 to 18 with severe behavioural, emotional and social difficulties (BESD) who may also have learning difficulties. The service includes a day school and six separate Ofsted registered children's homes in rural and urban community locations. The school provides highly effective education, care, therapy, welfare and support for young people who may have experienced trauma, inconsistent and confusing care and emotional rejection. Typically, a pupil's behaviour will be challenging. Some will have associated learning difficulties and many young people will have encountered negative educational experiences or disruption and consequently lack confidence in their own abilities.
Through an individual inclusive approach to education, care, therapy and healthcare we provide young people with the opportunity to make positive changes in their lives, develop as lifelong learners, fulfil their individual potential and integrate into the wider community.
Specialist Education Services offered
- Individually tailored programmes for education, care, social and personal development
- Intensive therapeutic programmes and communication strategies including psychiatry, psychotherapy, speech and language therapy and occupational therapy
- Coxlease School outreach programme – an individualised one-to-one learning programme tailored to meet personal learning needs
- A broad and balanced curriculum using national curriculum guidelines
- A comprehensive 14 to 19 curriculum pathway with options both at Coxlease School and local colleges leading to a range of nationally accredited qualifications
- A positive ethos which celebrates and rewards success and progress
- High staff to pupil ratios
- Day, weekly, 38 or 52 week residential provision
- Continued and ongoing support with learning and life skills to support their pathway to independence
- Brand new education classrooms and facilities including sports centre, gym and outdoor fitness equipment
- Extensive school grounds that provide a safe environment in which to learn, enjoy and grow
- For more information about the education services we provide in your local area, click here
School Environment and facilities
Coxlease School is near Lyndhurst, Hampshire in the heart of the New Forest. It is well situated for easy access across the south of the country, close to the M27 and M3, approximately two hours drive and one and a half hours by train from London and just five minutes from Brockenhurst train station. Set in ten acres of grounds and woodland Coxlease School provides students with ample space and a safe environment in which to learn, have fun and grow. Outdoor facilities include a multi-use games area with fitness equipment and a horticultural site.
The sports hall provides for a range of sports including football, basketball, trampolining and other indoor sports. Housed in the same complex is our superbly equipped fitness centre. Based in the heart of the New Forest, our horticulture site provides opportunities for learners to develop their knowledge, skills and understanding of the cycle of plants, sustainability and the impact of climate change, whilst also providing hands on learning.
The Coxlease School children's homes comprise of six Ofsted registered residential homes providing support to children and young people aged 9 to 18. All the homes offer individual needs-led support to both boys and girls in an environment specifically designed to meet the requirements of young people with a variety of social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
All homes are situated with a ten mile radius of Coxlease School; with four in Southampton, one in Lymington and one in New Milton. The homes provide a variety of environmental living opportunities including city, small town and rural. Each young person has their own separate room - many with ensuite facilities, and all homes have communal space including spacious living rooms, dining rooms, catering facilities and IT access.
Classrooms and specialist rooms are well equipped and all feature a recently fitted ICT resource suite. Great attention is paid to promoting students' self-esteem by displaying work and rewarding achievements - both academically and personally.
Post 16 opportunities
Coxlease School offers a range of packages for post 16 students dependent on their needs. We support students between the ages of 16-19 to gain more independence skills, life skills and to continue in full time education. Each package is tailored to each student with a mix of the following:
College courses, part time/full time (supported by Coxlease School staff)
Core skills subjects
Life and independent skills courses accredited through ASDAN
Work based training, work experience, supported employment programmes
A detailed transition process underpins the post 16 provision with a clear pathway plan leading to agreed goals and targets. All post 16 students will continue to receive relevant pastoral and therapeutic support whilst moving to self determination and independence.
To read the Priory Specialist Education Safeguarding Statement, please click here