The Priory Hospital Ticehurst (formerly the Priory Ticehurst House) is an independent hospital, specialising in the management and treatment of mental health problems.
Founded over 215 years ago the hospital stands in 48 acres of grounds, providing a calming and therapeutic environment for our patients. The hospital has established an excellent reputation for providing the highest standards of care, together with an extensive range of mental health services. The hospital has residential facilities for 69 patients, as well as offering outpatient services. Our highly experienced team includes consultant psychiatrists, therapists, nurses and support staff.
What we treat-
Acute mental health - outpatient
The hospital provides outpatient treatment for a wide range of psychiatric and emotional problems, including addictions, depression, anxiety and stress, fatigue syndromes, personality disorders and schizophrenia. We have a large team of consultant psychiatrists and experienced therapists who respond quickly to referrals or initial enquiries ensuring that effective treatment is provided based on individual assessment. We work closely with Priory Hospital Hayes Grove in Bromley and the Priory Hospital Brighton and Hove if in-patient or day patient packages are required and some of our psychiatrists and therapists work across sites to ensure continuity of your care.
Adult mental health - complex care
The Priory Hospital Ticehurst offers complex care and treatment for adults with severe and enduring mental health problems, challenging behaviour and often physical illness. We provide intensive, highly flexible care programmes in safe, caring environments for patients with complex needs, including detention under Mental Health Act.
There are three stages within this service that reflect our milestones care pathway. Based on the recovery model the service aims to improve each patient's quality of life and maximise independence. Patients are supported, by an extensive multidisciplinary team, to work towards their aims of more independent living. The milestones care pathway runs for up to two years.
- Assessment, we offer a comprehensive eight week assessment period, identifying goals and targets to improve daily living skills, medication management, psychological needs, risk management and targets for a meaningful future, for example work or study aspirations.
- Active Rehabilitation, our patients are supported to engage in their treatment programme and are regularly reviewed to ensure they, their families and community support believe they are progressing towards their overall goals. Patients will be supported to become more active in the local area e.g. voluntary work experience, college and provided with the opportunities to practice their daily living skills, become more independent in their medication management and be offered necessary psychological therapies.
- Transitional Living Unit (TLU), the TLU is the final stage in this care pathway and is suitable for those who are almost ready to be discharged to a community setting but would like to, or would benefit from a period in a supported setting to trial their new skills. The TLU is a staffed, four bed bungalow on the grounds of the hospital that allows our patients to practice their skills while still having the support of the multidisciplinary team.
Acute mental health 24/7 emergency placements-
We are now providing acute mental health bed availability 24 hours a day, seven days a week for emergency placements. Newington Court is a thirteen bed unit that accepts emergency admissions.
Our trained and experienced team will:
- Complete a desk top risk assessment on receipt of the referral information
- Respond to the referrer within 30 minutes
- Work with community teams to identify purpose of admission and discharge planning
- Assess, manage, stabilise and treat an individual with an acute period of mental illness
- Provide regular clinical updates along with guidance on future placements
The hospital also provides outpatient treatment for a wide range of psychiatric and emotional problems, including addictions, depression, anxiety and stress, fatigue syndromes, personality disorders and schizophrenia. We have a large team of consultant psychiatrists and experienced therapists who respond quickly to referrals or initial enquiries ensuring that effective treatment is provided based on individual assessment. We work closely with Priory Hospital Hayes Grove in Bromley and the Priory Hospital Brighton and Hove if in-patient or day patient packages are required and some of our psychiatrists and therapists work across sites to ensure continuity of your care.
Young Peoples’ service-
The adolescent service within the hospital offers outpatient, inpatient and a high dependency unit (HDU) for those young people between the ages of 12 to 18.
Our services cater for those young people suffering from conditions such as depression, anxiety and stress, fatigue syndromes, autistic spectrum disorders, self harm, inappropriate sexualised behaviour and psychotic illness.
The HDU service will assess and treat young people who, due to their mental health, require a higher level of support for a period of time than an acute adolescent unit can provide.
Our experienced multidisciplinary team (MDT) work with the young people, engage with their families and significant others as well as operate within the Care Programme Approach (CPA) framework to ensure the full involvement of all professionals involved in that young persons care and ensures an effective discharge.
Both services have a well-equipped school staffed by qualified teachers and is an approved examination centre. On admission each young person is assessed by a member of the educational team and an educational programme developed reflecting individual needs. Young people who are in full time education can continue to maintain their curriculum with their school or college and links are made to assist with this process.
For young people who have not accessed education from the age of 16, or who find a school setting particularly difficult, the Skills Centre offers a more practical timetable which can be adapted as the young person works towards discharge.
We have a strong link with the local Connexions 360 service and many young people benefit from using this to help them look at what further options they have within education and employment.