Priory's commitment to Secure and Forensic Locked Rehabilitation
Priory is a trusted partner of the NHS in delivering clinically effective, evidence-based treatment programmes for adult service users who require secure care, which provides both physical and psychological security.
Our care pathways are categorised under:
- Medium Secure Units (MSU)
- Low Secure Units (LSU)
- Forensic locked rehabilitation
We recognise the importance of an individual pathway designed to provide a safe but supportive and structured environment. Our experienced multidisciplinary teams work collaboratively with individuals and commissioners to ensure that every service user receives rapid access to the highest quality of care when they need it most.
We are committed to involving service users and carers in all aspects of care and treatment, from co-production of care plans, to service user involvement in staff recruitment, training and the development of new service plans. The results from our satisfaction survey are testament to this approach:
- 78% of service users in a forensic site feel involved and engaged in their own recovery*
- 83% of service users in a forensic site feel the staff are caring and supportive*
- 75% of service users in a forensic site feel the service does a good job of supporting their care planning and involving them in the process*
- 100% of CQUIN targets achieved over the last four years (up to 2014/15)
*Survey October ’15
Our services at a glance
- Individualised and flexible care pathways
- Experienced and expert multidisciplinary teams
- Rapid access to the highest quality of care
- Recovery-focussed approach for a wide range of mental health needs
- Areas of expertise include dealing with challenging behaviour, complex needs, severe and enduring mental health, personality disorders, Autism Spectrum
- Disorder, co-morbidity, sex offending and arson
- We accept referrals from a variety of public sector and independent organisations throughout the UK
Who do we support?
Priory provides secure services for the following individuals:
- Males and females aged 18 years or older
- Individuals detained under the Mental Health Act (1983)
- Prisoners with a mental health disorder
Many of the service users we care for may have encountered difficulties in previous placements and require a higher level of support. They may also have:
- A mental disorder combined with physical health needs
- Severe and enduring mental health
- Mild or moderate learning difficulties
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Sexual offending behaviour
- Self-harming behaviour
- Substance misuse or forensic addictions
Priory is committed to protecting all our service users and we ensure safeguarding best practices are followed at all times. We strive to maintain a transparent and open culture where everyone feels safe and able to share any issues.
Forensic locked rehabilitation
Our locked rehabilitation and step-down facilities provide a safe environment, suitable for service users who need both active rehabilitation and ongoing care and treatment.
This can provide an ideal stepping stone between the confines of a low secure ward and an eventual return to independent supported living.
We have locked rehabilitation units to care for individuals with a variety of complex needs, including a specific focus on Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and dual diagnosis. Service users obtain a greater degree of freedom and autonomy, whilst also benefiting from continued participation in their planned recovery.
Our prison transfers service
In addition to planned placements, our responsive and rapid prison transfer and advisory service enables us to access service users who are in need of urgent admission, assessment and treatment. We offer a quick and expert forensic assessment in any prison establishment in England, Wales or Scotland, and can access and admit into an appropriate medium or low secure facility within 48 hours of referral.
How to access our services
Priory accepts referrals from a variety of public sector and independent organisations throughout the UK. These include:
- NHS Provider Trusts Gatekeeping
- Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs)
- NHS England specialised mental health case managers
- Community Mental Health teams
- High Secure hospitals
- Medium Secure hospitals
- Mental health Acute/PICU/Secure inpatient services
- Prisons and courts
- Social Services and the police
Our range of innovative pricing plans is specifically designed to ensure a transparent and efficient process for commissioners at an agreed cost. All our hospitals have specific admission criteria relevant to the service and support they offer.
Same day admission can be facilitated and we can assist in transferring the service user if required. We are able to accept referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Urgent or out-of-hours appointments and admissions can be arranged immediately by telephoning the appropriate hospital directly.
For further information on the full range of Priory services, please call: 0800 840 3219. For professionals looking to make a referral, please click here. To view current bed availability, please click here.
10 out of 10 English Strategic Health Authorities have commissioned Priory secure services since 2010.