Priory is the leading independent provider of behavioural care in the UK.
We organise ourselves into three divisions, which together, support the needs of over 30,000 people every year. Our divisions are:
Our purpose is to make a real and lasting difference for everyone we support.
We are dedicated to helping people to improve their health and wellbeing, and we understand that in order for people to achieve high quality clinical and educational outcomes, they need individually tailored programmes, suiting their specific needs.
Priory Group is a long-established company, with a prestigious history. Over the years, we have developed an unrivalled reputation for delivering a real and lasting difference for each individual who uses our services.
We currently treat more than 70 different conditions through a nationwide network of over 450 facilities that support individuals’ health, care, education and specialised needs. Our services include:
- Private healthcare:
- Mental Health Services– including treatment for depression, anxiety, stress, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Addiction Services – including treatment for alcohol addiction, drug addiction, gambling addiction, love and sex addiction, internet addiction and shopping addiction
- Eating Disorder Services – including treatment for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder (BED) and other specified feeding or eating disorders (OSFED)
- Young People’s Services
- NHS healthcare:
- Education and Children’s Services
- Adult Care Services
Priory’s network of high quality facilities allow us to offer joined-up care pathways. We offer programmes which integrate healthcare, treatment and therapy, and specialist education services that are tailored according to individual needs, in an appropriate setting. Our integrated strength is that we can provide a seamless transition for the individual as they progress between higher and lower dependency services.
A diverse team of leading experts
Priory Group is home to a diverse team of practitioners, many of whom are published and leading experts in their field. Our distinguished specialists are committed to providing the best care to each person who seeks support with us, and pride themselves on placing service users at the heart of their treatment, rehabilitation and education journey. This approach ensures that service users are allocated to the best expert for their needs and benefit from a truly bespoke programme that produces the most positive outcomes for them as individuals.
We also ensure that our specialists engage in continuous professional development in order to guarantee that their practice is guided by the very latest research and adheres to robust National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines, and other relevant standards.
Safety, quality and compliance
All providers of healthcare, specialist services, education, and social care have a responsibility to strive for excellence in their services, and to identify areas for improvement. Our Priory promise is to deliver the highest standards of safety, quality, care, treatment and education for the people that we support. We are also required by law to demonstrate how we implement this promise in practice, and to show that we can achieve consistently high standards across all of our services.
Our sector is regulated by two main bodies:
- The Care Quality Commission (CQC), which reports on health and adult social care services in England
- Ofsted, which inspects and regulates services that care for children and young people, in addition to those providing education for learners of all ages
In addition, there are equivalent bodies that are responsible for service regulation in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. These include:
- Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)
- Care Inspectorate (Scotland)
- Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)
- Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)
- Health Inspectorate Wales (HIW)
Priory has a strong track record of clinical quality. Our facilities are inspected by external bodies through the CQC or Ofsted, alongside other regulatory standards that capture our high levels of compliance. Priory has also achieved ISO accreditation, and with strict clinical governance protocols in place, we ensure that we deliver consistently high quality person-centred care, education and support.
For more information, please visit our safety, quality and compliance page.
Priory Group was founded in 1980 with the purchase of Priory Hospital Roehampton, by an American healthcare company. The Roehampton site has been in continuous operation since its launch in 1872 by renowned Psychiatrist, Dr William Wood. Over the following decades, Priory acquired more hospitals and diversified its services. In 1993, Priory moved into specialist education services with the purchase of Jacques Hall Foundation, followed by an adolescent therapeutic community, in Manningtree, Essex.
In 2014 we opened our first Priory Wellbeing Centre in Fenchurch Street, London, and acquired the Castlecare Group, one of the UK’s leading providers of local authority funded children’s services. Castlecare, part of our Education and Children's Services division, delivers high quality services across children’s homes and specialist schools. In September 2015, we acquired Life Works, one of the leading addiction and mental health hospitals in the UK, which joined our Healthcare division to continue supporting people with mental health conditions and addictive behaviours. In December 2015, we acquired Progress Care, a leading provider of specialist education and care in Lancashire. Progress Care’s service for young adults became part of Priory Adult Care Services, and its children's service joined Priory Education and Children’s Services.
In February 2016, Priory Group formally became part of Acadia Healthcare, one of the leading providers of behavioural care in the world.
In November 2016, Priory merged with Partnerships in Care, a UK-based healthcare company owned by Acadia. This saw 66 sites, with a total of 1,890 beds, join The Priory Group.
On 14th November 2017, Aspire Scotland joined our Education and Children’s Services division. Aspire provides education and care to young people aged 8 to 18 years, with complex needs. 30 residential beds across 7 children's homes and a day school joined the division, as well as a café and member’s gym for both students and the general public.
Our purpose and behaviours
The behaviours that Priory aspires to are:
- Putting people first - we put the needs of our service users above all else
- Being supportive - we support our colleagues, our service users and their families when they need us most
- Acting with integrity - we are honest, transparent and decent. We treat each other with respect
- Striving for excellence - for over 140 years, we have been trusted by our service users with their care. We take this trust seriously and constantly strive to improve the services we provide
- Being positive – we see the best in our service users and each other, and we strive to get things done. We never give up and we learn from our mistakes