12-Step Approach to Addiction Treatment
Addiction treatment at Priory is underpinned by the world-renowned 12-Step addiction treatment model. The 12-Step approach was first pioneered by the organisation Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), and is a spiritual, abstinence-based programme, that provides a set of guiding principles for the treatment of a wide range of substance (alcohol & drugs) and behavioural addictions (gambling & sex addiction). The 12-Step technique focuses on your motivation to change your unhealthy thought patterns and addictive behaviours, and also incorporates elements of spirituality within the treatment and recovery process.
During treatment, patients progress through various stages of the 12-Step Programme, typically in a group therapy format, and are encouraged to share their progress with peers, receive constructive feedback and develop insight and awareness. Patients are also able to attend regular AA and other 12-Step fellowship meetings, which are held both on and off-site at our Priory hospitals, in order to enhance their engagement with the 12-Step philosophy and the wider recovery community.
More information on some of the 12-Step fellowship meetings that our patients have access to can be seen below:
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) - AA is a 12-Step fellowship for those seeking to solve their problem with alcohol and to help others through sharing their experiences and guidance. alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk
- Narcotics Anonymous (NA) - NA is a 12-Step fellowship allowing people to join together to help one another to stay drug-free. ukna.org
- Co-dependents Anonymous (CoDa) - CoDa offers regular meetings for individuals with a shared desire for healthy and loving relationships. These meetings are based on the 12-Step model and members share experiences and strength as they work towards recovery. coda-uk.org
- Gamblers Anonymous - Gamblers Anonymous is adapted from AA and offers a 12-Step recovery programme for men and women whose lives have been affected by compulsive gambling and who share a desire to do something about their gambling problem. gamblersanonymous.org.uk
- Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (SLAA) - SLAA is a 12-Step fellowship adapted from AA, offering support to men and women in dealing with addictive sexual and emotional behaviour. slaauk.com