What are the signs and symptoms of alcohol addiction?
The symptoms of alcohol addiction can vary from person to person, and also depend upon the nature of your addiction, the amount of alcohol that you are drinking and the frequency of your alcohol consumption.
At Priory, our specialist teams are dedicated to providing exceptional alcohol addiction treatment, empowering you to alleviate your symptoms, and return to the healthy, fulfilling and addiction-free life that you deserve.
As well as drinking large quantities of alcohol on a regular basis, we have outlined the signs that you, or someone that you know, may be suffering from an alcohol addiction.
This page was clinically reviewed by Dr Niall Campbell (MBBS, MRCPsych) in June 2018, and is scheduled to be reviewed again in June 2020. To view all Priory alcohol addiction specialists, please click here.
- Mood swings
- Increased temper and irritability
- Inability to focus or concentrate
- Memory problems
- Diminished self-esteem and self-worth
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Finding that you depend on alcohol in order to function on a daily basis
- Regularly drinking to relieve stress; this can often be the starting point for many people who go on to become addicted to alcohol
- Intense cravings for alcohol
- Exacerbation of any existing mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety or stress
Book a FREE Confidential Assessment at your Nearest Priory Hospital Today.