Drug addiction is a condition that’s characterised by repeatedly taking or administering drugs, to the extent that you become physically or psychologically dependent on these substances. These might be illegal drugs such as heroin, cocaine or ecstasy, or legal prescription drugs.
Regardless of the type of drug addiction you’ve developed, continued substance abuse can soon become a serious problem and can lead to a series of long-term issues. However, you don’t have to suffer in silence; expert treatment in drug rehab can help you to regain control of your life.
When to get Drug Addiction Help
There are lots of symptoms of drug addiction, which can vary from person to person. These can also vary depending on:
- The type of drug you’re taking
- The method you’re using to take the drug
- The amount of the drug you’re consuming
- How frequently you’re using the drug
However, the following are some of the most common signs that you’re struggling with a drug addiction, and may need professional help:
- Building a tolerance to the drug, meaning you need to take more of this in order to achieve the ‘high’ you crave
- Focusing an excessive amount of time and money on obtaining and using the drug
- Being dishonest or lying to loved ones about your drug use
- Experiencing intense cravings for the drug, which affect your mood and concentration
- Taking drugs to try and ‘self-medicate’, and cope with pre-existing mental health problems or difficult emotions
- Continuing to take drugs despite the negative effects this has had on your personal, home, work or social life
- Experiencing drug withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking or are unable to get hold of the drug
Our Drug Rehab Centres
We have a network of hospitals based in the UK that offer drug rehabiliation on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. To find a drug rehab centre near you, use our location finder. You can view some of our locations below:
Treatment for Drug Addiction at Priory
Drug addiction treatment at Priory usually takes place as part of our 28-day Addiction Treatment Programme. Our world class rehab programme includes:
- A free, no obligation drug addiction assessment, allowing you to discuss your concerns in confidence, receive guidance on next steps and develop an understanding of your journey towards rehabilitation and recovery
- 7-10 day medically assisted drug detox, if this is required
- Individual 1:1 therapy, online therapy and structured group therapy programmes
- Family and couples therapy programmes
- Access to both on and off-site 12-Step support groups
- Evidence-based therapeutic techniques and a range of wellbeing activities
- Free aftercare for 12 months following treatment (aftercare is provided for life following treatment at Priory Hospital Roehampton)
- Free family support for 12 months following treatment (family support is provided for life following treatment at Priory Hospital Roehampton)
- Access to secondary addiction treatment at our dedicated facility, The Elphis
Drug Addiction Treatment Options
Free Drug Addiction Assessment
The first step in your drug rehab journey at Priory is for you to undergo our free drug addiction assessment. This allows you to discuss your concerns in confidence with one of our addiction experts and find out more about our drug addiction rehab programme. Our dedicated free assessment guide offers in-depth information on what can be expected if you seek help and support for addiction with Priory.
Talk about your concerns in confidence, get expert guidance on next steps and learn more about the journey towards rehabilitation and recovery.
Book your assessment
We can also offer a medically assisted drug detoxification (detox) process as part of your treatment plan, if this is needed. Detox is the process by which we’ll safely eliminate the toxic substances from your system in a medically controlled environment, with round-the-clock care. We’ll help you to manage your drug withdrawal symptoms and ensure that you’re as comfortable as possible throughout the process.
Residential Drug Rehab
Residential (inpatient) drug rehab is when you stay at one of our specialist drug addiction treatment centres on a residential basis. During this time, you will benefit from comprehensive individual and group therapy in order to address the source and triggers for your addictive behaviours, and take steps towards recovery.
We can deliver a wide range of tried-and-tested therapeutic techniques to aid your recovery. These include methods such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), transactional analysis (TA) and mindfulness.
We also recognise that staying healthy in mind, body and spirit is hugely important when it comes to addiction recovery. That’s why we also offer a number of wellbeing activities while you’re with us. These can include things like yoga, meditation and exercise groups.
28 days is the recommended treatment time for all forms of addiction, including drug and alcohol addictions. However, the length of the addiction treatment you receive at Priory can be flexible according to your requirements and commitments. We will be happy to discuss alternative treatment lengths with you during your free addiction assessment.
Outpatient Drug Rehab
As well as comprehensive inpatient treatment, we can also deliver drug addiction treatment on an outpatient or day care basis, depending on your individual needs and requirements. Outpatient treatment is when you attend one of our addiction treatment centres for weekly therapy sessions. Day care addiction treatment consists of you attending for a set number of full or half days per week, to receive addiction therapy.
These treatment options can be used as an entry-point to drug addiction treatment, or can be used as a step-down in treatment intensity for individuals who have already gone through residential treatment.
12-Step Drug Addiction Recovery
Drug addiction treatment at Priory is based on the world-renowned Minnesota Model. This is an abstinence-based programme that involves the 12-Step addiction treatment approach. The 12-Step philosophy provides a set of guiding principles for the addiction treatment and rehabilitation journey.
As someone who struggled with addiction problems for over a decade, David's recovery at the Priory is one we should all be inspired by.