How to spot the signs of an addiction
At Priory, we recognise that addictions can have an incredibly detrimental effect on a person’s life. Addictions and addictive behaviours can result in a wide range of unpleasant and distressing symptoms and a whole host of devastating consequences including the breakdown of relationships, reduced work performance, poor physical health and an adverse effect on personal finances.
We understand that seeking help is a crucial, but often difficult initial step to take. Our national UK network of Priory hospitals offer a free initial assessment for your addiction, allowing you to address your issues in a confidential and supportive environment, and plan how we can support you every step of the way towards rehabilitation and recovery.
What are the signs and symptoms of an addiction?
The signs and symptoms of addictions can vary from person to person and can also depend on the type of addiction that you are suffering from. However, there are several signs and symptoms that are common to most types of addiction. These include:
Psychological symptoms of addictions:
- Mood swings
- Increased temper
- Inability to focus or concentrate
- Poor judgement
- Memory problems
- Diminished self-esteem and self-worth
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Exacerbation of any existing mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety or stress
Behavioural and social signs of addictions:
- Secretive or dishonest behaviour
- Poor performance and/or attendance at work or school
- Withdrawing from responsibility and socialising
- Losing interest in activities, hobbies or events that were once important to you
- Continuing to use the substance, or engage in certain behaviours, despite the negative consequences that these cause
- Trying but failing to reduce or stop misusing a substance, or engaging in certain behaviours
Physical symptoms of addictions:
- Lack of concern over physical appearance/personal hygiene
- Disrupted sleep patterns, including insomnia
Book a FREE Confidential Assessment at your Nearest Priory Hospital Today.
For more information about the addiction services that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure