My approach is humanistic and holistic, I consider the mind, body and spirit as a whole, rather than individual entities. I can then better understand a person’s current life, where they would like to be and how we can work together to achieve therapeutic objectives. The quality of the relationship is key to therapeutic progress.
- Beena Bhanu has been working as a psychotherapist at Priory since January 2016.
- Beena facilitates groups as well as providing individual sessions.
- Bachelors honours degree is a British Psychological Society (BPS) Approved course in Cognitive Science (BSc Hons)
- Metanoia Institute – Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy Diploma – CTA DIP
- Middlesex University – MSc in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy – CTA MSc
- UKCP accredited and registered since 2008.
- Malayalam (South India)
Approach to treatment
Beena's theoretical foundations are in Transactional Analysis (TA).
Although TA is her primary modality, she draws from personal experience and a wealth of other tools that she has found helpful whilst building her professional identity. She is inspired by her clients everyday and works with their self-limiting beliefs with sensitivity and empathy.
She receives much praise for her approachable and relaxed style especially when facilitating her TA psycho-education groups. She very much enjoys working with individuals and groups and has been lucky enough to work in many different settings and across all demographics. The TA model incorporates a wonderful approach to mental health which is non-judgemental and compassionate. She is passionate about the TA philosophy and has provided an explanation of what this means:
"TA is a humanistic philosophy. This means we focus on an individual's potential and stress the importance of growth and personal development. We fundamentally believe that people are innately good and that mental and social problems result from deviations from this natural tendency.
The fundamental beliefs of TA are:
People are OK
This means, you and I both have worth, value and dignity as people. I accept myself as me and I accept you as you. This is a statement of essence rather than behaviour.
At times, I may not like nor accept what you do. But always, I accept what you are. Your essence as a human being is OK with me, even though your behaviour may not be.
Everyone has the capacity to think
Therefore, it is the responsibility of each of us to decide what he or she wants from life. Every individual will ultimately live with the consequences of what he or she decides.
People decide their own destiny, and these decisions can be changed
I embrace the idea that “everyone can change” and trust that my energy and dedication to my practice encompasses this philosophy.
I specialise in working with internal conflict, especially the impact of inter-cultural tension in self and with other.
My primary areas of interest are:
- Identity confusion and crisis
- Relationship breakdown and enhancement
- Work stress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
The above issues are just some of the many that I am experienced with. I am willing to work with anyone who has a willingness to change their unhelpful behaviours into healthier ones."
- BSc Hons - Cognitive Science
- CTA DIP - Diploma in Transaction Analysis
- Msc - Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA)