I have a passion for working with the individual, and using the client’s expertise of self, alongside my own professional, and personal experience of illness. I feel as a practitioner that working with hope of change is rewarding and achievable, as well as empowering, as it helps the individual uncover and remember their own strengths. I view treatment as a journey, and recognise that each journey is different, with its own set of challenges and rewards.
Bethany Ashley-Smith has worked in mental health for almost 20 years and she is passionate about supporting individuals to achieve the changes they desire.
She began her career as a nurse and she loved listening to people and empowering them to achieve confidence and the ability to move forward. Her enthusiasm and joy in listening is what motivated her to develop her career towards therapy, to enable her to practice these skills more.
Bethany specialises in addictions and eating disorders and more recently, she has become an eye movement desensitisation reprocessing (EMDR) practitioner, which works upon how past events can affect us in the present. She also has a strong interest in relationships and how our relationship with ourselves or with others, can contribute to our circumstances. Bethany has lots of experience in treating anxiety and depression and supporting people to manage these symptoms positively.
Bethany believes that therapy can support people in acknowledging and understanding difficulties and inspiring motivation to work through struggles, to achieve personal goals.
Bethany graduated as a mental health nurse in December 2006, and was lucky enough to start her nursing career within a hospital that had an addictions ward, and very quickly uncovered a passion for working with people who suffered with addiction. During this time, Bethany secured a training role, where she worked across the nursing and therapy department and trained as a therapist, to allow cohesive and holistic treatment, as well as robust risk management.
The ability to undertake therapy training has enriched her role, as she has skills both as a nurse and therapist, which allow the patient to have a realistic treatment plan.
- Bethany has previously set up several family programmes, both in the eating disorder and addiction settings
- She has researched and set up a programme to enable people with chronic eating disorders to live safely in the community
- She is currently working on specialist treatment for prescription drug dependency, and also a framework for clients who suffer with PTSD, as well as addictions
- Addiction Treatment
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Amphetamine Addiction
- Anger Management
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Binge Eating Disorder (BED)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Cannabis Addiction
- Cocaine Addiction
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Eating Disorders
- Ecstasy / MDMA Addiction
- Exercise Addiction
- Food Addiction
- Gambling Addiction
- Gaming Addiction
- Heroin Addiction
- Internet Addiction
- Ketamine Addiction
- Legal High Addiction
- Mental Health Treatment
- Online Therapy
- Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorders (OSFED)
- Plastic Surgery Addiction
- Porn Addiction
- Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
- Sex and Love Addiction
- Shopping Addiction
- Spice Addiction
- Stimulant Addiction
- Work Addiction
- Advanced EMDR Certificate, EMDR Association, 2021
- Diploma in Addictions Counselling, Bath University, 2011
- Diploma in Mental Health Nursing, University of Southampton, 2006