Cathy Underwood is a yoga and movement therapist with a wealth of experience within the mental health care sector, specialising in trauma, sensory processing disorders, complex neurodivergent conditions and addiction. Her ability to hold a safe space that aligns to the needs of the client has proved an invaluable tool for healing. In practice, Cathy integrates somatic practices, such as breathwork, to enhance regulation within the nervous system, yoga and movement to support dissociative conditions that inhibit body awareness, Mindfulness to support behavioural challenges and relaxation techniques to enhance healing.
Position at Priory
Cathy has worked for Priory Hospital North London since 2009. She plays a key role in the development of the current yoga and movement therapy provision and is available for one-to-one and group sessions.
Cathy graduated from The Minded Institute for Yoga Therapy London with affiliations to the Yoga in Healthcare Alliance and the Yoga in Society Parliamentary group. She is a registered Senior Yoga Alliance Professional (SYAP), member of the National Council of Integrated Psychotherapy (NCIP) and has won numerous awards for her inclusive community work namely The Barclays Innovative Business of the Year award for her work with vulnerable adults and children.
Cathy is committed to ongoing self and professional development and has additional training in PTSD, Autism, ADHD, applied behavioural analysis (ABA), parkinson's disease, eating disorders, chronic fatigue and musculoskeletal conditions.
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Bipolar Disorder
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Perinatal Depression
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Private CAMHS
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Selective Mutism
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD)
- Work Addiction
- National Council of Integrated Psychotherapy (NCIP)
- Senior Yoga Alliance Professional (SYAP)
- The British Council for Yoga Therapy (BCYT)
- The British School of Yoga Teacher Training 200hr Diploma
- Yoga for the Special Child - Special Yoga Diploma - Special Yoga
- Yoga Therapy for Children and Adolescents Mental Health Diploma - TMI
- Yoga Therapy Training 580hr Professional Diploma - The Minded Institute (TMI)