Catrina Lewis is a Chartered Counselling Psychologist and Integrative Psychotherapist with over 20 years’ experience. Catrina has worked in clinical settings in the NHS, private and voluntary organisations and with individuals, groups, couples and families across the lifespan.
As well as being a skilled practitioner, Catrina is an experienced Clinical Supervisor, Manager and Consultant. Catrina has also been involved in clinical research trials and also teaches at postgraduate level.
Catrina has worked at the Priory for three years on a sessional basis, alongside a senior role in a specialist NHS service.
Catrina’s doctoral level training equips her to work using cognitive behavioural, humanistic/existential and psychodynamic approaches. She has also undertaken additional training and is experienced in the following evidence-based ways of working:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Compassion focused therapy (CFT)
- Mentalisation based treatment (MBT)
- Eye movement desensitisation reprocessing (EMDR) therapy
- Narrative exposure therapy (NET)
- Dynamic interpersonal therapy (DIT)
- Motivational interviewing (MI)
She also has a strong interest in other approaches including mindfulness-based therapies, incorporating spiritual/faith beliefs held by an individual into their recovery, sensorimotor psychotherapy, somatic experiencing and internal family systems - in both community and coaching psychology.
Catrina regards the therapeutic relationship as key to a successful experience of therapy. She places great emphasis on forming collaborative, empathic relationships with clients and because of the breadth of her training is able to work in flexible, creative and culturally competent ways to find the right approach for those she works with.
Catrina has extensive experience of working with individuals experiencing a range of difficulties. These include depression, anxiety (generalised anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, phobias, social anxiety disorder) as well as difficulties sometimes described as personality disorders, dissociative identity disorder (DID), bipolar disorder and psychosis.
Catrina’s main area of expertise is working with individuals affected by traumatic experiences and supports individuals with PTSD caused by specific events, e.g. sexual assaults, specific events such as the Hillsborough disaster, bombings, the Grenfell Tower fire, RTAs, and traumatic bereavement). She also supports those affected by events which may relate to difficult childhood experiences (e.g. attachment difficulties, adoption, difficult parent/sibling relationships, including death/divorce of parents, childhood illness, CSA, bullying).
Catrina has a particular interest and extensive experience of working with individuals experiencing difficulties with emotional regulation and with interpersonal relationships including those who may use addictive/compulsive behaviours including alcohol, drugs, gambling, gaming, compulsive sexual behaviour, self-harm and eating disorders (anorexia/bulimia/binge eating disorder) to manage.
She also has experience of designing and delivering group work programmes as well working with individuals. Catrina has held leadership roles in NHS and voluntary sector services for individuals experiencing addictions and eating difficulties.
- BPS Chartered and HCPC Counselling Psychologist
- UKCP registered psychotherapist
- BABCP accredited CBT therapist
- EMDR Europe Accredited Practitioner and Consultant in Training.
- BPS approved training at the National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Amphetamine Addiction
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Binge Eating Disorder (BED)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Cannabis Addiction
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Cocaine Addiction
- Drug Induced Psychosis
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Eating Disorders
- Ecstasy / MDMA Addiction
- Exercise Addiction
- Gambling Addiction
- Gaming Addiction
- Gender Dysphoria
- Heroin Addiction
- Internet Addiction
- Ketamine Addiction
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Personality Disorders
- Plastic Surgery Addiction
- Porn Addiction
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
- Self Harm
- Sex and Love Addiction
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Shopping Addiction
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Spice Addiction
- Stimulant Addiction
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- Work Addiction
- BA (Hons) 1st class
- Doctoral Level Qualification in Counselling Psychology (British Psychological Society)
- EMDR Levels 1-3
- MA (Distinction) Psychotherapy
- MSc (Distinction) Psychology
- PG Certificate Clinical Supervision
- PG Diploma in CBT