Dr Harish Rao
Dr Harish Rao has been working as a consultant Adult psychiatrist within NHS since 2009. He has a wide range of experience of working in both inpatient and community settings. He has been working in private practice since 2019.
- Stigmatised attitudes about people with mental illness - Members of the general public completed a questionnaire to measure stigmatised attitudes towards people with schizophrenia and substance misuse disorders. Participants were randomised to receive either a short leaflet with a description of a patient in remission and a photograph of a man in a business suit; or a simple description of a fictional patient. The 5 item Attitudes to Mental Illness Questionnaire (AMIQ) was used to measure the effect of the various procedures on stigmatised attitudes.
- Multicentre project looking at DNA polymorphisms in alcoholism - based at the University college of London.
The purpose of the project is to test two hypotheses.
- That there are genetic effects, which predispose certain individuals to develop alcohol dependence
- That there are also genetic effects in susceptibility to Wernicke’s Korsakoffs psychosis.
I was a part of the research team recruiting candidates, interviewing and collecting blood/saliva samples.
Links to clinical articles/research papers
- Lyndi Wiltshire, Heather Hurst, Harish Rao. Service users with diabetes in an acute inpatient setting. British Journal of Mental Health Nursing, March / April 2015,Vol 4, No2, Pages 64-71.
- Harish Rao & Jason Luty. The future of specialized alcohol treatment services: a matter of policy? Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 2009 v. 15, p. 253-259.
- Rao, H.Mahadevappa, J. Luty et al, A study of stigmatized attitudes towards people with mental health problems among health professionals. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Volume 16, Issue 3, April 2009, Pages: 279-284
- Jason Luty, Harish Rao et al, The repentant sinner: methods to reduce stigmatized attitudes towards mental illness Psychiatric Bulletin, Sep 2008; 32: 327 - 332.
- Harish Rao. Integrated service for pregnant substance misusers: Seacole clinic, East London. SCAN Bites Autumn 2008 (Issue17): 12
- Luty J, RaoH. Survey of professional attitudes to addiction treatment policy. Journal of substance use 2008, 13/2 (115-120)
- Rao H, Luty J, Trathen B. Characteristics of patients who are violent to staff and towards other people from a community mental health service in South East England Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 2007 Dec, vol. 14, no. 8, p. 753-7
- Trathen B, O-gara C, Sarkhel A, Sessay M, Rao H, Luty J.Co-morbidity and cannabis use in a mental health trust in South East England. Addictive behaviors, Oct 2007 (epub: 07 Mar 2007), vol. 32, no. 10, p. 2164-77
- Rao H, Markar N. A pilot survey of service user involvement in C.P.A in a learning disability service. British Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 2006, 52/1 (29-36)
- Taye T, Fineberg N, Sherman A J, Rao H, Creak D.Chronic Pain Disorder Manifesting as Dental Pain: Case Report. Dental Update 2006; 33: 54-56.
- Moorthy R, Rao H Neuropsychiatric manifestations of a frontal lobe tumour a case study: Indian Journal of psychological medicine, 2003, 26(2), 38 – 40
- Adjustment Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Drug Induced Psychosis
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Perinatal Depression
- Personality Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- 1992 – 1998 – Government medical college, Mysore, India
- 1999 – 2002 – Department of Psychiatry, Government medical college, Madurai, India
- 2002 – 2006 – St Mary’s Basic Psychiatric rotation, London
- 2006 – 2009 – St Bart’s and the Royal London Higher training scheme, London