I completed my medical degree at the Institute of Medicine (Rangoon) before moving to Hong Kong in 1977 and then to the UK in 1980. I completed my Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Medicine and the Diploma in Medical Jurisprudence in the UK.
Dr Irene Yi
Dr Irene Yi has been a NHS consultant in child and adolescent psychiatry in Surrey (and previously North East Hampshire) since 1997. In addition to general child and adolescent mental health services, she developed one of the first community specialist eating disorders services for children and adolescents in the country, initially in West Surrey and NE Hampshire and then expanded this through the whole of the county of Surrey.
Dr Yi retired from her NHS post at the end of June 2015 and she is currently working as an Honorary Consultant at Springfield University Hospital (Children and Young Persons Community Eating Disorders Service).
Dr Irene Yi is a visiting outpatient Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at Priory Hospital Roehampton in London. She offers:
- Psychiatric assessment and diagnosis for general child and adolescent mental health difficulties including anxiety, depression, obsessional and compulsive disorders
- Outpatient treatment of anorexia nervosa (and bulimia nervosa) including psychiatric and medical monitoring, liaison with paediatricians where appropriate, psychoeducation and support and guidance for parents. Parent psychoeducation groups will be considered depending on the patient numbers
- Advice and supervision of appropriate psychotropic medication
- Therapeutic interventions with individuals, parents and families based on psychodynamic (adolescent-orientated), cognitive and behaviourally informed therapy methods
- Eating disorders in children and adolescents
Clinical articles and research papers
Dr Yi has been involved in national and international (multi-centre) research projects for early onset eating disorders, adolescent anorexia nervosa and adolescent bulimia nervosa. Dr Yi is currently a co-author and publisher of a manual (for professionals) for a parent’s psychoeducation group for children and adolescents with eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia nervosa).
- Adjustment Disorder
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Binge Eating Disorder (BED)
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Eating Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorders (OSFED)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Self Harm
- Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD)
- Young People’s Services
- DMJ (Diploma in Medical Jurisprudence)
- DPM (Diploma in Psychological Medicine)
- MBBS (Batchelor of Medicine and Batchelor of Surgery)