Dr Mila Senem Leveson
Dr Mila Senem Leveson is a Consultant General Adult and Rehabilitation Psychiatrist, and joined Priory Group as a Visiting Consultant in 2020. She holds her clinics at Priory Wellbeing Centre Harley Street and Priory Hospital North London*.
(*Referrals/appointments currently only via Priory Wellbeing Centre Harley Street)
Dr Leveson also leads the Health Based Place of Safety and inpatient triage and assessment ward at Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust. She is jointly responsible for the overall training and development of the junior doctors and holds pastoral oversight as the Core Programme Tutor and Educational Supervisor.
Dr Leveson takes a holistic and integrated approach to the care of her patients, principled in evidence-based practice adapted to the individual’s need. As a physician and psychiatrist, she recognises the biological underpinnings of mental distress but also considers the individual’s personal circumstances and life story to formulate a diagnosis and to identify avenues of support and treatments that suit the individual. She strives to work together with her patients to strengthen their sense of self-agency and help their journey towards recovery.
Dr Leveson is trained in using repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) to treat depression.
Dr Leveson was born and educated in Istanbul before moving to England in her teens. She studied medicine at the University of Cambridge, graduating in 2008. She initially specialised in internal medicine and gained membership to the Royal College of Physicians. Following this, she worked as Clinical Lecturer at St George’s University Medical School, in charge of clinical skills teaching for Year 2 Medical Students. She then completed her core and specialist training in General Adult Psychiatry in Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust, gaining membership to the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2015.
Dr Leveson has undertaken specialist work in personality disorders and trained in mentalisation based therapy at the Halliwick Unit. She trained in psychodynamic psychotherapy at the Tavistock NSH Foundation Trust where she also worked in the Gender Identity Development Service and researched the presentation of gender dysphoria in looked-after and adopted children. She completed theoretical training in forensic psychodynamic psychotherapy at the Portman Clinic.
- Dr Leveson is currently undertaking the MSc in Mental Health Sciences Research at University College London Division of Psychiatry.
Clinical articles and research papers:
- Matthews T, Holt V, Sahin S, Taylor A, Griksaitis D: Gender Dysphoria in Looked-After and Adopted Young People in a Gender Identity Development Service. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2019, Jan; 24(1): 112-128. Doi: 10.1177/1359104518791657. Epub 2018 Aug 11.
- Tugrul S, Brock A, More A, Crompton J, Ruf, M (2010): HIV Testing Patters in Primary Care in NHS Lambert and Southwark, using laboratory testing data to monitor and support local implementation. HIV Medicine, 12 (Suppl.1) 87-91. (Won the Highly Commended Award at the annual British HIV Association Conference in 2011)
- Sahin S, Holt V: Presentation of Gender Dysphoria in Looked After and Adopted Children, RCPsych CAMHS National Conference, Cardiff September 2014. Conference Extract.
- Sahin S: “The Art of Psychiatry”, National Student Careers Conference, University College London, 2014 Conference Extract.
- Aref-Adib G, Landy G, Chapman J, Sahin S, Shah R et al: “The Rise of Digital Psychiatry” London Specialty School of Psychiatry, Annual Trainee Conference, 2013 Conference Extract.
- Sahin S, Tincknell L: “Peer Tutor Recruitment and Selection” Fifth International Clinical Skills Conference, Tuscany, 2013 Conference Extract.
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBchir), University of Cambridge
- Master of Arts, University of Cambridge
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, (MRCPsych)
- Mentalisation Based Basic Treatment, Anna Freud Centre
- Post-graduate Certificate Medical and Biomedical Education (PG Cert Med), St George’s University of London Medical School
- Pulses Course, Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation