The focus of my practice is based on understanding each patient I see as a whole person. I try to combine this understanding with my expertise and extensive knowledge of evidence-based treatment so that we can then select a suitable treatment together. This would often include talking therapies and/or medication, but also might include things like exercise, mindfulness or yoga. Assessments may take one or two sessions to complete depending on how complex and longstanding your difficulties are. I have found that taking time initially to fully understand your difficulties and what you want to achieve is key to finding the most effective treatment plan for you.
Dr Nick Walsh
Nick joined Priory Group in 2020 as a visiting consultant and offers clinics at Priory Wellbeing Centre Fenchurch Street and Priory Hospital Hayes Grove. He was a full-time NHS Consultant for 7 years, at two of the UK’s leading teaching hospitals.
Nick studied medicine at the University of Manchester, including a 1 year BSc(Hons) in History of Medicine. He did his Foundation training and then started psychiatry training in Manchester. He relocated to London and continued training on the Royal London and St Bartholomew’s training scheme. In 2014, he became a Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry, with a sub-specialty endorsement in Liaison Psychiatry. After 7 years as a Consultant in East London, Nick left the NHS in 2021.
Links to clinical articles/research papers:
- Walsh, N, (2015). An outsider’s perspective on the Emergency Department. Emergency Medicine Journal (Supplement) 32(1) (Suppl) 3
- Chamberlain, F., Walsh, N., Falkowski, J., (2015). Chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in a patient receiving clozapine for treatment-resistant schizophrenia: use of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. BJPsych Bulletin 39 (6) 305-307
- Walsh, N., Handley, T., & Hall, I. (2014). Training and developing staff in general hospitals: intellectual disability liaison nurses and the RAID model. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disabilities, 8(6), 390-398.
- Walsh, N. and Hall, I. (2012) Legislation and Policy. In: Chaplin, E. et al. eds. (2013) Autism Spectrum Conditions: A Guide. 1st ed. Brighton: Pavilion Publishing
- Walsh, N. and Hall, I. (2012) The Autism Strategy: implications for people with autism and for service development. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disabilities, 6 (3), p.113-120
Patient and colleague feedback
Nick has recently received the following feedback from patients:
- "Thank you so very much for your support and professionalism. You are a life changer!"
- "Dr Nick Walsh was extremely supportive, very clear and straight forward in his approach, both being reassuring and also realistic. He was happy to give a full explanation of his views and very helpful counsel. I would highly recommend his services."
- "I am very pleased that I have struck up a rapport so quickly with him"
- "Dr Walsh was extremely thorough, yet not intrusive and i felt although discussing some very personal topics he wasn't judgmental and was very understanding, he had a kind manner and made me feel comfortable talking to him openly."
Other clinicians have recently said:
- "Nick is an excellent, caring doctor and brings a huge amount of skill and expertise to his work"
- "Dr Walsh is patient-centred in his approach and is able to quickly and easily develop rapport with patients"
- "Nick is an excellent doctor"
- Addiction Treatment
- Adjustment Disorder
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Amphetamine Addiction
- Anger Management
- Asperger Syndrome
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Cannabis Addiction
- Cocaine Addiction
- Drug Induced Psychosis
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Ecstasy / MDMA Addiction
- Gender Dysphoria
- Ketamine Addiction
- Legal High Addiction
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS)
- Mental Health Treatment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Personality Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD)
- Spice Addiction
- Stimulant Addiction
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB), 2006
- Bsc (Hons) History of Medicine 2.1, 2005
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) General Adult Psychiatry (with liaison endorsement), 2014
- Member of Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych), 2011