Known as Dr Ram, Dr Ramanathan Elayaperumal is a Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry for the Home Treatment Team with Essex Partnership University NHS Trust.
He offers private treatment for a wide range of adult mental health conditions, including stress disorders, anxiety disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), depressive illness and psychosis
Dr Ram believes in delivering holistic care in a compassionate manner, always striving to understand a patient's difficulties from their point-of-view, and trying his best to alleviate their suffering.
Dr Ram believes that feedback from patients is so valuable and that their views on how he practices are really helpful to who are considering coming to see him for assessment and treatment. Dr Ram collects anonymous feedback from his patients to help him continue to learn and to ensure his patients are happy with his care.
Below is some feedback form his patients:
"Dr Ram constructively helped me come to terms with and successfully manage my mental health. He is a very approachable, knowledgeable, thoughtful and sincere individual. Due to the way Dr Ram conducted himself I was able to open up and discuss my issues and concerns with ease and without feeling any judgment or prejudice. Dr Ram was able to prescribe the right medication that my GP couldn't based on his understanding of me and my issues. I cannot praise Dr Ram enough for his help and support over the past several months" – 29-Aug-2019
"I have appreciated the time Dr Ram has spent listening to me in an empathetic and non-judgemental way, thus making me feel at ease discussing some painful topics. He offers an integrated approach; it’s not just about the medication. Any medication recommended has the pros and cons explained and the way forward is a joint decision" - 26-Aug-2019
"Dr Ram has a sympathetic, accessible manner and takes time to put his patients at ease and to fully explore their condition before prescribing or offering treatment advice. I was impressed by the standard of care I received" - 24-Aug-2019
"Dr Ram has a sensitive and careful listening ear and helps to develop a treatment approach working closely with the patient. His input was greatly appreciated. I would recommend him to anyone seeking more help than a regular non-specialised GP can provide. He gave a new perspective on a condition which a GP could not provide" - 23-Aug-2019
I highly recommend Dr Ram
"I can't speak highly enough of Dr Ram, he takes a collaborative approach to treatment, is very knowledgeable, and friendly. When I first started seeing him my treatment resistant OCD had caused me difficulties for over 20 years. But thanks to his patience and perseverance, trying different drugs and therapies, I have now found something that is working to improve my quality of life" - 20 Aug 2019
Dr Ram graduated from The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University in 2000 and completed his MD in Psychiatry at the same institution in 2005. He became a Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the UK 2009.
Dr Ram completed his higher specialty training in General Adult Psychiatry at North Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust within the East of England Deanery, gaining his Certificate of Completion of Training in General Adult Psychiatry from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2012. He is currently a Consultant Psychiatrist for the Home Treatment Team with Essex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
In addition to being a Consultant Psychiatrist, Dr Ram is trained in Clinical Hypnotherapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and is an EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) Therapist.
Dr Ram regularly gives talks to GPs on subjects such as antidepressants, bipolar affective disorder and anxiety disorder.
Affiliations / memberships:
- Royal College of Psychiatrists
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
- GMC registration: 6083429
- ‘Comparative study of aggressive behaviour among Schizophrenia and Bipolar Affective Disorder – Mania’, Dissertation for M.D. Psychiatry 2002-2005
Areas of interest:
- Dr Ram has a special interest in the Diagnosis and Management of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and other anxiety disorders including Social Anxiety Disorder/Social Phobia, PTSD, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks, Agoraphobia
- Management of different types of Depression and Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depressive Illness)
- Psychosis and related illness
- Adjustment Disorder
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Drug Induced Psychosis
- Mental Health Treatment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Perinatal Depression
- Personality Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Tourette's Syndrome
- Certificate of Completion of Training in General Adult Psychiatry Royal College of Psychiatrists 2012
- MBBS The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University 2000
- MD Psychiatry The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University 2005
- MRCPsych Royal College of Psychiatrists 2009