Dr Ranga Rao
Dr Ranga Rao has recently started at Priory Hospital Hayes Grove, and Priory Hospital Woking as a Visiting Consultant.
Dr Rao has worked as Consultant in general adult psychiatry for over 20 years in the NHS at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. He has experience in treating the range of mental health problems along with dual diagnosis (alcohol / substance misuse and mental health problems). He has vast experience of managing patients in various setting such as inpatients, outpatients, community and day care. His current specialist experience is in perinatal psychiatry and currently works as a consultant psychiatrist in a mother and baby unit. He also has experience in assessing managing common neuropsychiatric problems.
Apart from working as a Consultant Psychiatrist he held managerial roles as Clinical Director and Joint Leader of Clinical Academic Group within Kings Health Partners for 13 years. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and Approved under section 12 of the Mental Health Act. He has held various additional roles nationally within the Royal College of Psychiatrists and with NHSI.
- Dr Rao trained in Psychiatry in the National Institute of Mental Health In Bangalore, India
- In addition, he did his basic and higher training in psychiatry in Manchester and held an Academic Position as Lecturer at the University of Manchester before starting his Consultant post
- Dr Rao’s research interests include studying effects of synthetic cannabinoids on brain functioning and has published on psychiatric effects of cannabis use
- He has also published review articles on examinations for Post Graduate Training and edited a book ‘OSCEs in Psychiatry’
- Diploma in Mental health (DMH)
- Diplomate National Board of Examinations (Dip NBE Psych)
- DPM (Diploma in Psychological Medicine)
- FRCPsych ( Fellow of the Royal College of Psychaitrists)
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery)
- MD (Masters Degree in Psychological Medicine)
- MRCPsych (Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists)