I believe in working together with patients to deliver a care plan that they believe in. I have been a consultant psychiatrist for 29 years working with people with a wide range of presentations receiving exceptionally good feedback from patients. I have been thanked for saving people’s lives by individuals and their families. I have particularly worked with people at their most desperate and at times of crisis to ensure they get the right care and support.
Dr Sylvia Tang
Dr Sylvia Tang originally joined Priory Group as Group Medical Director in 2014 and became Chief Executive of Priory Healthcare in December 2016. Dr Sylvia Tang then left Priory Group to pursue other opportunities retaining a part time role as a private consultant.
Dr Sylvia Tang graduated from The Royal London Medical School in 1992 with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree. She completed her specialist training at the Royal Free Hospital and other north London Hospitals, becoming a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 1997 (MRCPsych) and later became a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (FRCPsych). She started her first Consultant post at Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust in 2001 where she also became Medical Director in 2006 and Deputy Chief Executive in 2012.
- 2000-2006 Consultant for community, outpatient and inpatient and lead consultant for crisis care in Archway.
- 2006-2008 Inpatient consultant for acute ward and crisis team consultant in Islington.
- 2008-2014 Acute assessment ward Islington
- 2013-2019 NHS England London Clinical Senate Council
- Appointment as one of the 11 clinical experts to review evidence for service reconfiguration in London.
- 2013-2018 NHSE National Mental Health Payment Steering Group
- 2013-2015 London Mental Health Strategic Clinical Network
- Delivery of Mental Health Crisis Commissioning guide. https://www.crisiscareconcordat.org.uk/wpcontent/uploads/2014/11/mh-urgent-commiss-booklet-102014.pdf
- 2013-2014 London Healthcare Commission expert reference group member
- 2012-2014 Monitor Mental and Community Medical Advisory Group
- A new model for quality improvement in acute inpatient psychiatry: observational data from an acute assessment unit, Joseph Hayes, Rachel Gibbons, Faizal Outim, Sylvia Tang, Apu Chakraborty, Royal Society of Medicine (2012).
- Medical management in mental health services, Sylvia Tang and Geraldine O’Sullivan, Markar H, O’Sullivan, G (2012) “Medical Management – A survival Guide” Hodder and Stoughton.
- The care pathways approach: a contemporary, inclusive and outcome-focussed approach, Sylvia Tang, Eds Phillips P, Sandford T, Johnston C (2012). Working in Mental Health: Practice and Policy in a Changing Environment: Taylor Francis Routledge.
- Service redesign in a mental health foundation trust www.evidence.nhs.uk/qualityandproductivity (2009).
- Early discharge and joint working between crisis teams and hospital- Fiona Nolan and Sylvia Tang, Crisis resolution and home treatment and home treatment in mental health. Ed Sonia Johnson, Justin Needle, Jonathan Bindman, Graham Thornicroft (2008).
- Needs Assessment in the children of parents with major psychiatric illness, Juliet Singer, Sylvia Tang,Mark Berelowitz, Family matters: Interfaces between child and adult mental health, Ed Peter Reder, Mike McClure, Anthony Jolley (2001)
- Patient-held shared care records for individuals with mental illness. Randomised controlled evaluation. James P. Warner, Michael King, Robert Blizard, Zara McClenahan, Sylvia Tang. British Journal of Psychiatry Oct 2000, Vol 177, 319-324.
- Effectiveness of audit on room safety David PJ Osborn and Sylvia Tang
- Psychiatric bulletin, March 2001 Vol 25 No 3, 92-94.
- Dr Tang can understand Italian and French but patients would need to be able to understand questions and plans in English
- FRCPsych - Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- MBBS - Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Degree
- MRCPsych - Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists