I work with many therapists and psychologists, and refer to many different modalities of therapy including cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), schema therapy, specialist addiction treatment, psychodynamic therapy, dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), interpersonal therapy, eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR), psychodrama, anxiety management, co-dependent treatment and many others.
Dr Vik Watts
Dr Vik Watts is a consultant psychiatrist with over 25 years of experience working with patients in the NHS and in the private sector. Dr Watts specialises in the treatment of addictions, panic attacks, anxiety and depression, stress (including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)), relationship and workplace issues and all forms of mental crises and breakdowns.
Since 1999, Dr Watts has been lead consultant for addiction treatment and a staff consultant in general adult psychiatry at Priory Hospital North London.
Dr watts works with patients aged 18 years and over, and takes a keen interest in their experiences, and the best therapies and therapeutic approaches required to address their individual needs. He prescribes medicines, but sees his role as attending to the patient in their entirety and not on a narrow basis.
Whilst he was training Dr Watts undertook both Jungian and Freudian psychoanalysis, and has worked closely with therapists throughout his career as he believes teamwork and a holistic approach are key to getting the best results for his patients.
Dr Watts regularly engages in outpatient, day care and inpatient treatment, and treat day patients and inpatients at Priory Hospital North London.
- Qualified in Medicine, St Mary’s Hospital Medical School, London, 1981
- Hawker Scholarship to St Mary’s, 1974-80
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Immunology, St Mary’s, 1977
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatry (MRC Psych), 1989
- Approved under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act, 1989
- Psychiatric Senior House Office (SHO) and Registrar Rotation, St George’s Hospital, London, 1985-1989
- Honorary Senior Registrar, The Maudsley Hospital, London, 1990-1992
- Maudsley Hospital Senior Registrar Rotation, 1992-1995
For the last 20 years Dr Watts' focus has been on clinical work. Whilst training he published research on Community Psychiatry and Service Delivery.
Clinical articles and research papers
- Knapp, M., Marks, I., Wolstenholme, J., Beecham, J., Astin, J., Audini, B., . . . Watts, V. (1998). Home-based versus hospital-based care for serious mental illness: Controlled cost-effectiveness study over four years. British Journal of Psychiatry, 172(6), 506-512. doi:10.1192/bjp.172.6.506
- Falkowski, J., Watts, V., Falkowski, W., & Dean, T. (1990). Patients Leaving Hospital Without the Knowledge or Permission of Staff–Absconding. British Journal of Psychiatry, 156(4), 488-490. doi:10.1192/bjp.156.4.488
- Addiction Treatment
- Adjustment Disorder
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Anger Management
- Binge Eating Disorder (BED)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Cannabis Addiction
- Cocaine Addiction
- Drug Induced Psychosis
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Eating Disorders
- Ecstasy / MDMA Addiction
- Exercise Addiction
- Food Addiction
- Gambling Addiction
- Gaming Addiction
- Heroin Addiction
- Internet Addiction
- Ketamine Addiction
- Legal High Addiction
- Mental Health Treatment
- Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorders (OSFED)
- Porn Addiction
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
- Self Harm
- Sex and Love Addiction
- Shopping Addiction
- Spice Addiction
- Stimulant Addiction
- Work Addiction
- Bachelor of Medicine-Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Science in Immunolgy (BSc)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Training, Level 1
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists (MRCPsych)