My main focus of work, is valuing and supporting the personal growth of my clients and facilitating the development of their personal empowerment skills (resilience). My drive as a Counselling Psychologist is my capacity to help people. I aspire to provide evidence based therapeutic techniques that are tailored to my clients’ needs. I always aim to produce highly detailed formulations that are clearly understood by and are meaningful to my clients, carers and other professionals involved. In terms of treatment plans, I always take into consideration the individual needs of my clients.
No.1, 3rd Floor
Elena Georgakopoulou is a Chartered Counselling Psychologist (CPsychol) that holds a professional registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Elena joined Priory Wellbeing Centre Oxford as a locum therapist in 2020.
Elena has worked extensively in private practice and NHS, working for psychological services with young people, adolescents and adults. Her private work entails adult and children work, and uses an eclectic and integrated model of CBT, Systemic approach and Person-centred approaches.
Areas of expertise
Her main interest and area of expertise is working with autistic spectrum disorders (ASD) and consulting their families. Some of her other areas of expertise are:
- Loss of meaning and direction in life
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Relationship problems
- Obsessive Compulsive disorders (OCD)
Apart from her therapeutic work, Elena has extensive experience of assessments, formulation and diagnosis of mental health problems. She has developed in depth knowledge of a number of Psychometric assessments, and has certified training on ADOS-2 & ADI-R specialist assessments for ASD.
Elena is Greek, and being born and raised with a different culture, and having travelled extensively, has given her the sensitivity and raised her awareness at cultural differences. This is something that greatly emphasizes her way of work.
Elena graduated from Wolverhampton University in 2006, and holds a Post-graduate Master of Science in Counselling Psychology (Post- MSc), Master of Science in Counselling Psychology (MSc),a Graduate Diploma in Psychology (2003), a Post-graduate Certificate in Counselling Psychology from City University (2000), and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (BA ) graduating in 1996.
Elena has also received training in the following:
- DNA-V (ACT model) 17-18/09/19
- NET training (2019)
- NEO PI-R Training (06/02/14)
- Mindfulness Training (02/02/15 – 30/03/15)
- Introduction to Positive Psychology – One Module (09/13 -01/14)
- ADI-R Training (July 2013)
- ADOS-2 Training (October 2012)
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Asperger Syndrome
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ADHD and ADD
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Gender Dysphoria
- Mental Health Treatment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Selective Mutism
- Self Harm
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Tourette's Syndrome
- Young People’s Services
- BA in Psychology, The American College of Greece-Deree College, Athens, Greece
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology, University of Wolverhampton, UK
- Graduate Training programme on Systemic-Dialectic Approach, The Athenian Institute of People, Athens, Greece
- MSc in Counselling Psychology, University of Wolverhampton, UK
- Post-graduate Certificate in Counselling Psychology, City University, London
- Post-MSc in Counselling Psychology, University of Wolverhampton, UK