I am consistently aiming as clinician, trainer and clinical supervisor to encourage personal and professional growth, reflective practice, and help develop fidelity to the delivery of research / evidence-based psychotherapeutic treatments.
Harry O'Hayon is a consultant cognitive behavioural psychotherapist (CBT) with a Master’s degree in CBT and a certificate in counselling science, clinical supervisor and lecturer with 18+ years’ experience, outstanding clinical, communication, group facilitation / management and presentation skills.
In addition to offering CBT and counselling, Harry is trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) and Behavioural Couples Therapy. He has robust training and knowledge in the areas of mental health, addictions counselling and in psychotherapy, and with significant proven clinical experience & skills. He is considered an inspirational lecturer, tutor and trainer who regularly disseminates through invited colloquia, and national and international workshops, on the treatment of addictions and mood disorders.
Harry is fully accredited with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
Position at Priory
He has experience working for the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK since 2008, in addictions both inpatient and outpatient services since 2001, and teaching at the postgraduate level since 2009.
Harry works at Priory as a cognitive behavioural psychotherapist at Priory Wellbeing Centre Harley Street.
Leadership experience includes:
- Providing academic and clinical leadership for accredited postgraduate university programmes in evidence-based psychological treatments
- Experienced in supervising research / dissertations at Master’s level
- Meticulous examiner ensuring rigor and consistency across a team of University lecturers and markers
- Twenty-five years managing services and large budgets in both the private and public sectors, as well as at the University of Reading
- Designed, set-up and management of IAPT for LTCs service with health psychologists embedded within physical health care teams across Whittington Hospital
- Chair of the LTCs work stream for London’s IAPT Clinical Leads Network. We help support IAPT services across London in the design, set-up and roll-out of IAPT for LTCs within existing services (e.g. integrating health psychologists within physical healthcare clinical services)
- Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy
- Addictions Counselling: Science & Practice
- Motivational Interviewing & Transtheoretical model of change
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR, to level 3)
- Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- Behavioural Couples Therapy
- Clinical Supervision
- Assessing / Managing Suicide & Para-Suicide Risk
- Treatments for addictions & mood disorders
- Research/evidence-based treatment models
- Health Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology, Diagnostics, and using validated objective measures
- Developmental trauma & treatment of PTSD
Research interests and contributions
- Lancet Psychiatry June 21 2018: Contributed in a multi-site randomised control trial (RCT) aimed to assess the effectiveness of an outcome feedback quality assurance system applied in stepped care psychological services.
- Integrating mindfulness-based applications in western psychology & cognitive behavioural psychotherapy for the treatments of recurrent depressive episodes and borderline personality disorder (Master’s dissertation)
- Adaptations to CBT in primary care: Assessing and Managing Para-Suicidal, Self-Injurious & Addictive Behaviours in primary care (University of Reading, UK)
- Assisted in the design of a RCT, and delivered a psychotherapeutically based protocol for perpetrators of domestic abuse (University of Derby, UK)
- Understanding & Treating Sexual Compulsive Behaviours (Counsellor Training Institute, Canada)
Achievements and professional contributions
- Nominated and shortlisted for the Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning Lecturer Excellence Award demonstrating excellence in teaching. Formal evaluations consistently show positive feedback from students and trainees.
- Nominated and shortlisted to the finals of the Whittington Health NHS Staff Awards 2018 in the Improving Patient Experience Award category
- As part of the NHS’s 70th Birthday Harry was selected as one of 70 Whittington Health NHS Trust Heroes
- Delivered workshops on post-traumatic stress (PTSD), and treating complex combat-related PTSD, to clinical psychologists and psychotherapists in Palestine.
- Presentation title: Adaptations to CBT in primary care; a tough nut to crack. Presented at the 41st Annual Conference of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies. London, UK.
- Presentation title: The mechanisms of change of trauma memory processing, known as reliving the trauma, in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Presented at the 40th Annual Conference of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies. Leeds, UK.
- Addiction Treatment
- Adjustment Disorder
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Amphetamine Addiction
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Binge Eating Disorder (BED)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Cannabis Addiction
- Cocaine Addiction
- Drug Induced Psychosis
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Eating Disorders
- Ecstasy / MDMA Addiction
- Exercise Addiction
- Food Addiction
- Gambling Addiction
- Gaming Addiction
- Gender Dysphoria
- Heroin Addiction
- Internet Addiction
- Ketamine Addiction
- Legal High Addiction
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS)
- Mental Health Treatment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorders (OSFED)
- Perinatal Depression
- Personality Disorders
- Porn Addiction
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Prescription Drug Addiction Treatment
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Sex and Love Addiction
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Shopping Addiction
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD)
- Spice Addiction
- Stimulant Addiction
- Tourette's Syndrome
- Work Addiction
- 2003 Counsellor Training Institute of Canada
- 2008 University of Derby, England
- MSc in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy (Merit)
- PG Cert in Counselling Sciences