My practice incorporates a number of approaches, usually within a cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) framework (as i am an accredited and experienced CBT therapist). I can also change gears, and focus on something that can work best for you in a particular area where you want to change.
Jeremy Christey is a well-trained, experienced practitioner who brings a sense of humanity and humour to the work. He also brings a thorough focus on what you want to achieve within therapy using the best evidenced-based approaches.
Jeremy is a counselling psychologist, he started his training in the mid-1980s and has had independent psychotherapy training in a number of approaches. Many of the best professors in the world, including Beck, who invented cognitive-behavioural psychotherapy, have trained him in well-evidenced approaches.
Jeremy is also a specialist in helping sleep problems, in which he has considerable experience and specialist training from the Sleep Institute at the University of Oxford.
As well as being accredited in CBT, and a practising counselling psychologist, he continues to be interested and invigorated in furthering his skills, and Jeremy is currently working towards his accreditation in:
- DBT (dialectical behaviour therapy, a useful skills and behavioural training for longstanding mood management problems)
- EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing, a powerful therapy designed to help people recover from traumatic events in their lives)
- Schema Therapy (A useful therapy especially where other therapies have not worked, where is it useful to clearly understand early ways of experiencing the world, leading to better ways of coping)
Position at Priory
Jeremy is a senior psychologist, CBT therapist and integrative psychotherapist, and has worked fulltime at Priory 2019, after 27 years in private practice, and working in technology and mental health.
He has run drug rehabs early in his career, and more recently has led the national workforce of therapists in UK universities, where he has held a national role, with an interest in the mental health of young adults.
Jeremy has a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology, as well as:
- Post-Graduate diplomas in:
- Integrative Humanistic Counselling (University of Brighton)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of Brighton)
- Clinical Supervision (University of Sussex)
- Further Post Graduate training in:
- PTSD Narrative Reprocessing, 1996 (Impact Training)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, 2010-14 (Beck institute, Philadelphia)
- Prolonged Exposure(PE) for PTSD, 2014 (Beck institute, Philadelphia)
- Sleep and Circadian Disorders and their treatment 2014 (University of Oxford)
- Current training:
- 2019/2020 EMDR (Richman), Schema Therapy (Schema Training Institute), DBT (British Isles DBT)
Jeremy has an interest in patient centred outcomes, helping design and pilot the first well validated measure.
He has written for national papers, is a BBC panellist, he has developed evidence based technology solutions to improve population-level mental heath initiatives.
Clinical articles and research papers
- Ashworth M, Shepherd M, Christey J, Matthews V, Wright K, Parmentier H, Robinson S, Godfrey E. A client-centred psychometric instrument: the development of ‘PSYCHLOPS’ (‘Psychological Outcome Profiles’). Counselling and Psychotherapy Res 2004;4:27-33
- Ashworth M, Robinson S, Godfrey E, Parmentier H, Shepherd M, Christey J, Wright K, Matthews V. The experiences of therapists using a new client-centred psychometric instrument, ‘PSYCHLOPS’ (‘Psychological Outcome Profiles’). Counselling and Psychotherapy Res 2005;5:37-41.
- Writing for various magazines and online, plus for The Guardian, Times, Telegraph
- BBC Panellist (The Big Question)
- Addiction Treatment
- Adjustment Disorder
- Alcohol Rehabilitation
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Bipolar Disorder
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Drug Rehabilitation
- Internet Addiction
- Mental Health Treatment
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Online Therapy
- Personality Disorders
- Porn Addiction
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Sleep Disorders (Insomnia)
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- Young People’s Services
- BABCP Accredited CBT Therapist
- HCPC Registered as a Practising Counselling Psychologist