I believe that the relationship between the therapist and client is at the centre of what works in therapy. I have a passion for helping others reach a level of self-awareness that can only enhance their wellbeing. My way of working not only provides some relief from current difficult feelings, but also facilitates independence in how to deal with these issues going forward. I believe that depression and anxiety are a natural part of life, but that doesn’t mean that we need to live in misery with them. I hope my warm and friendly approach will help you open the door to my practice.
62 The Avenue
Lara Hickey-Webb is a self-employed psychotherapist working at both Priory Wellbeing Centre Southampton and on the Priory Connect site. She has worked for the Priory Group for over 12 years, initially at the Priory Hospital Woking. Lara is a BACP Accredited Psychotherapist and as such abides by their code of ethics.
- Lara's Certificate in Psychosexual Theory covers the assessment stage and part of the treatment stage in working with the sexual dysfunction that affects relationships. This has aided Lara greatly when working both with specific areas of sexual difficulty and how it can create rifts in couples and the self-esteem of all involved.
- Lara’s PGDip and BSc are both rooted in the existential branch of philosophy and how it is related to the natural anxieties of life. Some of the areas she trained in are: bereavement and loss, the difficulty of change, the stages of life and growing older, and the uncertainty of the future and how to cope with it.
- During her 20+ years of practice, she has completed at least 40 hours of continuing professional development annually in order to comply with British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) regulations. This ranges from training to become a mindfulness practitioner with the Mindfulness Association, to an 18-month long training in 'Working with Young Men Who Sexually Abuse' with a Youth Offending Service. She has worked alongside cognitive behavioural (CBT) therapists for 8 years, running CBT based groups. This has given Lara quite an in-depth and varied grounding in CBT techniques which she finds very useful in her practice. Whilst at the Youth Offending Service, Lara did a 4-day introductory Certificate in BRIEF solution focussed therapy. This has worked very well as part of her integrative practice, with all ages, but especially those who connect with that way of being.
- Adjustment Disorder
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Attack Treatment
- Bipolar Disorder
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Gender Dysphoria
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS)
- Mental Health Treatment
- Perinatal Depression
- Personality Disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD)
- Young People’s Services
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (Psychodynamic) – West Thames College
- BSc Existential Counselling – both Roehampton University
- Certificate Psychosexual Theory – The Tavistock Clinic
- PG Dip Integrative Psychotherapy and counselling