Early relationships form our sense of self. I believe the therapeutic process can enable us to overcome a negative internal dialogue which can lead to self-defeating actions. There is body of evidence that suggests that teaching people to develop self-compassion can significantly reduce shame and self-criticism, and lead to improvements in mental and physical health conditions. All forms of eating disorders, including emotional eating, emerge as safety strategies to defend against this negative sense of self. Letting go of these strategies requires courage, as well as support, from someone who understands and can be alongside you, providing support.
Lin is a cognitive analytic practitioner working with both adolescents and adults. Her experience is primarily in eating disorders. She worked with inpatients at Priory Hospital Southampton for 11 years, working with both groups, individuals and carers. Lin has worked with outpatients since 2003. She is an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the group of Accredited Cognitive Analytic Therapy Therapists (ACAT). She has also worked for an NHS weight loss service in obesity, since 2012, providing a brief intervention in behavioural change using a compassion-focused approach.
- Diploma in Primary Health Care Counselling and Psychotherapy (Psychodynamic), Psycho-systems Analysis, Wirral, 1995
- Applied Counselling Diploma, Raffles Medical Centre, Singapore, 1998
- Cognitive behavioural approaches in mental health, Southampton University, 2003
- Transdiagnostic cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for eating disorders, Priory CPD, 2006
- Introduction to CBT, Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre, 2006
- Part 1 of Family and Systemic Therapy Diploma, Southern England Psychotherapy Training, Southampton, 2008
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy Practitioner Diploma, Oxford Brookes, 2011
- ACT Training, Evolve Training Southampton, 2014
- Compassion focused therapy with eating disorders, Compassionate Mind, Derby, 2017
- Essential obesity: psychological approaches, 2017
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy Practitioner Diploma
- Diploma in Primary Health Care Counselling and Psychotherapy (Psychodynamic), Psycho-systems Analysis
- Registered Sick Children’s Nurse Diploma, Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- State Registered Nurse Diploma, Good Hope