Lorraine has been a Therapist for over three decades, and has a wide spectrum of experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds and walks of life.
She has worked in the private and public sector in health and in education. She has considerable experience of working with people at all stages of their lives and is particularly interested in working with people in times of transition. Lorraine has worked with people who have experienced trauma, abuse and loss and also with people who are just looking for a way to find more meaning and sense of belonging in to their lives. Whatever people come to Lorraine for, the important factors for her are to build a relationship of trust so that the individual feels heard and understood, to explore and understand the events of their lives, their stories and the source of their distress.
Her years of training and experience mean she has collected a large tool bag of ideas, techniques and practical strategies to relieve and help address debilitating thoughts and other symptoms. This enables patients to come to some kind of acceptance and go on to live a more hopeful and contented life.
For over 20 years, she has been a supervisor of other therapists and has been instrumental in the writing of and delivering of counselling and psychotherapy courses for therapists working with both adults and children. For the past 14 years, she has also been a mindfulness teacher delivering MBSR/CT to both individuals and groups.
The supervision, teaching and training Lorraine has done alongside her therapeutic practice has meant that she has kept herself informed of theories, old and new, current in her thinking, and vigilant in her practice. She is able to weave in the practices of mindfulness when appropriate and useful.
- Research Masters in Mindfulness and Ageing
- Research into menopause and long-term mental health and learning disability
- Sheldon mindfulness: Stress by Lorraine Millard and Philip Cowell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29886999-sheldon-mindfulness#
- Droplets, 5 week mindfulness course for young people and students in collaboration with University of Kent, awaiting publication by McGraw Hill
- Seedlings workbook in collaboration with Brompton Academy (using mindfulness for exam preparation for Year 11s)
- Chapter on Sexual Abuse and women with learning disabilities
- Adjustment Disorder
- Asperger Syndrome
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ADHD and ADD
- Bipolar Disorder
- Gender Dysphoria
- Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS)
- Perinatal Depression
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Self Harm
- Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD)
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy, CCPE, London, 1996
- Certificate in Race and Culture in Therapeutic work, Birkbeck University London, 1990
- Certificate or Transpersonal Psychology Centre for Transpersonal Psychology, London, 1990
- Diploma in Drama Therapy, Hertfordshire University, 1986
- Diploma of Supervision, CCPE, London, 1998
- M.A Transpersonal Psychology, Centre for Counselling and Psychology in Education, London 2016
- UK Registered Mindfulness Teacher, 2016
- UKCP Accreditation, 2002