Get expert help for your eating disorder at Priory
We understand how difficult it can be to live with an eating disorder. If you feel like you have started to develop damaging habits around food and exercise, you don’t have to struggle alone. You deserve to lead a happy existence free from your current symptoms, which can be addressed with the right treatment and support.
At Priory, we can help you to begin your recovery, improving your self-esteem and quality of life. Like many other people we have treated with eating disorders, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder, you can start to turn things around with our professional support.
COVID-19: Customer Update
We are in the process of resuming face-to-face sessions for some clients in our hospitals and wellbeing centres, as well as continuing to offer sessions remotely. Remote therapy, along with consultant assessments, can be accessed via our online therapy service and through Skype. Inpatient services are still available across our network of private healthcare hospitals, with flexible options for pre-admission assessments being offered.
What eating disorders do we treat at Priory?
We are able to treat a range of eating disorders at Priory, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder (BED). We can also treat “other specified feeding or eating disorders” (OSFED), which are also known as “eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)” or “atypical eating disorders”.
You can read more about the treatment that is available for each eating disorder below:
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
- Binge eating disorder
- Other specified feeding or eating disorders (OSFED)
You can also find out about the different signs and symptoms of these eating disorders here:
- Signs and symptoms of anorexia nervosa
- Signs and symptoms of bulimia nervosa
- Signs and symptoms of BED
- Signs and symptoms of OSFED
Eating disorder treatment designed for your future
Priory is the UK’s largest independent provider of eating disorder services and we are committed to helping people who are struggling to get back on track.
Our specialists have years of experience delivering eating disorder treatment programmes. Each expert team at Priory is made up of:
- Other mental health and eating disorder professionals
Every specialist at Priory is experienced and highly-qualified. When you first come to us, you will meet with one of our experts, who will carry out an assessment and work with you to create a personalised eating disorder treatment plan that will help you to turn your long-term goals into reality.
All of our programmes are flexible and you will have the ability to adapt yours as you progress. Your treatment can be scaled up or scaled down, depending on the support you need at each stage of your recovery journey.
For more information on the process for entering eating disorder treatment with Priory, please click here.
Types of eating disorder treatment programmes at Priory
As well as treating the physical symptoms of your eating disorder, our specialists will help you to address the underlying psychological, environmental and social influences which may have caused it. This approach helps to increase your chances of recovery during your eating disorder treatment with us, in addition to reducing the future risk of relapse.
You can read more about each of our eating disorder treatment programmes here:
- Outpatient treatment programmes - this is usually suitable if your challenges aren’t at the level of requiring more intensive treatment. Outpatient programmes are carried out during weekly hour-long appointments at one of our hospitals or wellbeing centres, which you can fit around your other commitments. You can also undertake outpatient therapy appointments over video if this is more convenient, with Priory Connect.
- Day care programmes – two of our facilities - Life Works and Arthur House - offer a day care programme, where you attend and work through your treatment programme during the day while continuing to live at home. Arthur House also offers a step-down service for those who have already undergone primary treatment.
- Inpatient (residential) treatment programmes – we are able to offer residential eating disorder treatment at many of our hospitals around the UK, providing around-the-clock support. This intensive programme provides structure and allows you to get away from your usual day-to-day routine, which may contain various triggers for your symptoms.
The therapy that we provide as part of an eating disorder treatment programme can be delivered in a number of different formats, for both yourself alone and with others, including:
We specialise in a range of different therapy types, which are all approved by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE):
- Maudsley Model of Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adults (MANTRA)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Dietetic advice and support
- Supported meals
- Occupational therapy including food exposure interventions
- Body image workshops
- Parent/carer workshops
We can also monitor your physical condition while you’re with us and offer supported feeding, if needed, on our residential programmes.
For more information on the eating disorder help that we offer at Priory, you can visit our approach to eating disorder treatment page.