At Priory, you’ll receive a bespoke eating disorder treatment journey, helping you to achieve the best possible outcomes for you. We don’t just look at your eating habits and physical symptoms - we also help you address the underlying emotional issues which could be contributing to your eating disorder. Our specialists will help you to:
- Understand the factors that are contributing to your illness
- Teach you skills and coping mechanisms for the future
- Help you to take steps towards a lasting, sustainable recovery
We can also work with your family and carers to help them understand how best to support you.
All of the eating disorder treatment that we deliver at Priory is based on National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidelines, which means you’ll be getting the highest quality support while you’re with us. Our expert team of eating disorder psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists and other professionals, are committed to remaining up to date with current research, to make sure our practice is guided by the latest research.
Common eating disorder behaviours
Eating disorders are complex mental health conditions. They cause people to become obsessed with their appearance, body shape and weight, which can lead them to develop extremely unhealthy eating habits and behaviours. These behaviours may include:
- Limiting the amount of food you consume
- Eating large amounts of food in one sitting even when you’re not hungry
- Trying to remove calories from your body in harmful ways such as making yourself sick, abusing laxatives or exercising excessively
- A combination of these
Without expert eating disorder help, these unhealthy behaviours can have a negative impact on your physical and mental health, and can even be fatal. However, the good news is that eating disorders are treatable and it’s possible for you to make a lasting recovery – you just need to reach out for support.
Our specialist eating disorder centres
Our nationwide network of hospitals and wellbeing centres mean you can access eating disorder help in a location that’s convenient for you. We offer inpatient and outpatient treatment options to suit your needs.
We also have a dedicated eating disorder treatment centre, Life Works, which offers world class support exclusively for eating disorders.With our expert team and extensive network of centres, you really are in safe hands with Priory.
What eating disorders can we treat at Priory?
We can treat a range of eating disorders, including:
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
- Binge eating disorder (BED)
- Other specified feeding or eating disorders (OSFED), also known as ‘atypical eating disorders’ or ‘eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)’
How do we treat eating disorders at Priory?
At Priory, we can deliver a whole range of eating disorder treatment programmes, as well as a variety of therapy types and formats, helping you to get back on track.
Our expert eating disorder treatment programmes
The type of treatment you receive while you’re with us will depend on your personal needs, and factors such as:
- How severe your eating disorder is
- What symptoms you’re experiencing
- Your body mass index (BMI)
- Your overall physical health
We offer a number of treatment programmes to help with your eating disorder. For more information on these, you can visit our treatment programmes page, or click on the links below:
- Outpatient treatment programme
- Day care programme
- Inpatient (residential) treatment programme
Eating disorder therapy delivered in a number of different formats
We can also deliver eating disorder therapy in a number of different formats. For more information on each of the therapy formats that we are able to offer, you can click on the links below:
- 1:1 therapy
- Group therapy
- Family and couples therapy