Bulimia is treatable and it’s possible for you to take steps towards recovery and wellbeing once more. Even though bulimia can be a secretive disorder, you really don’t have to struggle on your own; at Priory, we can help.
Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder that can lead you to develop an obsession with controlling your food intake. This is often done using two methods:
- Binge eating – this is when you eat excessively, even if you’re not hungry (often up to three or four times the usual amount of food). People tend to binge on foods that are considered to be unhealthy such as crisps, chocolate or other types of ‘junk food’
- Purging – after binge eating, bulimia sufferers will often try to remove the calories they have consumed using harmful methods. These may include making yourself sick, exercising excessively or abusing laxatives
Unlike some other eating disorders, bulimia doesn’t tend to cause a significant change in your weight, as the cycles can balance this out. In addition, people with bulimia often go to extreme lengths to try and hide their behaviours. These factors mean that bulimia can sometimes be very difficult to spot.
Get help for your bulimia today at Priory
At Priory, we know that seeking help for your bulimia can be a difficult step to take, but it’s crucial if you want to get your life back on track. Our comprehensive bulimia treatment programmes can help you to take steps towards a full and lasting recovery from your bulimia.
Our bulimia treatment teams are made up of specialist psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists and other highly skilled eating disorder professionals, who are dedicated to delivering evidence-based bulimia treatment at our specialist UK hospitals and wellbeing centres.
The aim of the bulimia treatment we offer at Priory is to help you to:
- Identify the causes and underlying triggers for your unhealthy eating habits
- Address dysfunctional thought patterns and behaviours
- Develop a healthy relationship with food
- Learn healthy coping strategies for the future
- Enable you to return to a positive and fulfilling way of life
Remember, you don’t have to struggle with bulimia – contact us today to find out how we can help you on the road to recovery.
Private treatment for bulimia nervosa at Priory
At Priory, we understand that everyone experiences bulimia differently. That’s why the bulimia treatment you receive is individually tailored to your unique needs, helping you achieve the best possible outcomes for you.
The type and length of the bulimia treatment you’ll receive at Priory, depends on the nature of your condition and how severe your bulimia is. We can deliver high quality bulimia treatment on an outpatient, day care or inpatient (residential) basis, and the best option for you will be recommended based on the level of support you need. You can read more about these different treatment options on our approach to eating disorder treatment page.
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for bulimia
CBT is used all over the world to treat a wide range of mental health conditions and eating disorders, including bulimia nervosa.
CBT for eating disorders is based on the idea that these conditions develop because of negative, deep-rooted thought processes, which can:
- Prevent you from making healthy choices about food, diet, and eating habits
- Cause you doubt your ability to overcome your eating disorder
At Priory, we use CBT to challenge and change your negative thought patterns so we’re able to change the resulting negative behaviours. Our CBT experts will work with you in a collaborative way to help you:
- Identify your irrational beliefs regarding food, diet and body image
- Develop an understanding of why these irrational beliefs developed in the first place
- Replace your negative thoughts with healthier and more rational alternatives
Other specialist eating disorder interventions
Our expert treatment teams can also provide a range of therapeutic techniques that have been designed specifically to help people with eating disorders, such as bulimia. These include:
- Dietetic input
- Supported meals
- Food exposure interventions
- Body image workshops
Outpatient therapy package for bulimia
We are also able to offer a tailored outpatient therapy package at our wellbeing centres, that has been specially designed to tackle bulimia nervosa. In order to allow peace of mind, our therapy package offers:
- A set amount of one-to-one therapy sessions
- A personalised treatment plan, discounted rates
- Certainty of price for initial treatment (a further discount is also available for any additional therapy sessions you may need following your initial bulimia treatment package)
Priory’s outpatient therapy package for bulimia consists of 10 one-to-one therapy sessions with one of our eating disorder experts, which is the number of sessions that are recommended according to national guidelines. More information on the treatment and package price can be found by accessing our bulimia nervosa outpatient therapy package brochure.
Start your journey towards recovery from bulimia
Our eating disorder experts have lots of experience in treating bulimia and we’re able to deliver a wide range of therapy techniques. We can help you reduce your bulimia symptoms and take steps towards recovery.
We know that everyone experiences bulimia differently which is why we’re committed to providing personalised bulimia support, meaning you can achieve the best possible outcomes for you as an individual.
Unfortunately, without help, your bulimia may get worse over time. It can have a negative impact on your ability to function in your daily life, your performance at work or school, as well as your mental and physical health. Bulimia doesn’t just affect you either; it can have an effect on your whole family and relationships with other people. Your family might find it hard to understand the behaviours that are linked to bulimia, which can lead to arguments, stress and ongoing problems. That’s why, at Priory, we like to involve family and friends throughout your bulimia treatment and recovery process, so we can provide support and education to them too.
Whilst it can be overwhelming and daunting to seek expert psychological support for your bulimia, it really is the most crucial step you can take to get your life back on track. Bulimia is treatable and we will support you every step of the way towards the bulimia-free life you deserve.
A nationwide UK network of specialist treatment centres
Our specialist treatment environments provide you with the ideal setting to receive expert therapy, address your challenges, and take steps towards a positive future. Our extensive national network of specialist hospitals and wellbeing centres mean we can offer you flexible support in a location that’s convenient for you.
For more information about the eating disorder services that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure