High Dependency Units - (HDUs)
Treatment in our HDU is provided to patients who cannot be cared for appropriately on an acute ward, but do not meet the threshold for admission to a psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU).
Our HDU service offer:
- Admissions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- The use of medication to reduce levels of arousal and distress, and to treat any underlying disorders
- The least restrictive environments ensuring safety whilst promoting privacy and dignity
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary assessments and planning of ongoing care
- Highly experienced multidisciplinary teams
- Care for both informal and detained patients
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Creative therapies
Following admission, our specialist multidisciplinary team will work closely with patients to develop specific care plans, to effectively manage their risks in the least restrictive manner, whilst treating the underlying condition.
The teams recognise that admission to a HDU setting, and the associated restrictions to maintain safety, may be a difficult and upsetting experience. Therefore we work hard to maintain good communication and engagement in care planning, throughout the admission process.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on