Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit - (PICUs)
Priory's experience of supporting people with complex needs and challenging behaviours, along with co-existing issues (such as substance misuse), puts our services at the forefront of specialised intensive care.
Our psychiatric intensive care services have been developed over 20 years and support patients in a severe phase of illness, who cannot be managed in an acute or high dependency unit (HDU) service.
- Our staff teams have extensive experience in managing high levels of disturbance
- We admit from a variety of settings, including from other PICUs
- We provide a safe and therapeutic environment to manage high levels of risk, and safely yet swiftly start patients on their road to recovery
- We focus on intensive, multidisciplinary and therapeutic programmes aimed at delivering evidenced-based interventions, in order to rapidly reduce acute symptoms
- We promote self-management and recovery
- We aim to ensure a short length of stay, prior to transferring patients to a less restrictive environment, wherever possible
- We provide rapid admission, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Who do we support?
- Individuals who present with challenging presentations that cannot be managed in open settings
- Patients detained under the Mental Health Act
- Those with a wide range of mental health conditions
- Individuals presenting with a risk of violence and aggression to others, and those who are psychotic and unpredictable
- Patients from other PICUs, prisons, police custody, Secure Services, acute services and the community
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit a referral form
Call our 24/7 referral line
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on
For more information about the acute and PICU services that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure