High dependency units (HDUs) – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
Some young people may present with a level of risk and complexity that makes it hard to manage them safely and effectively in a general adolescent unit (GAU)/Tier 4 acute service. Our HDUs offer increased numbers of specialist nursing staff with environments adapted to manage higher levels of risk.
Our HDU services offer:
- 24/7 crisis inpatient admissions
- Expertise in the use of medication to reduce levels of arousal and distress, and to treat any underlying disorders, whilst minimising adverse effects and over-sedation
- The least restrictive environment to ensure safety, whilst promoting privacy and dignity
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary assessment and treatment
- Highly experienced multidisciplinary teams
- Care for both informal and detained young people
Psychological interventions on offer in our HDU services may include:
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Creative therapies
Following admission, our specialist multidisciplinary team will work closely with the young person and their family to develop specific care plans to effectively manage risk, in the least restrictive manner, whilst treating the underlying condition.
The team recognise that admission to a HDU setting, and the associated restrictions to maintain safety, may be a difficult and upsetting experience. Therefore, we work hard to maintain good communication and engagement in care planning with young people, families and carers throughout the admission process.
We work closely with local professionals from both health and social care teams, to plan safe and timely discharges to the community, where possible.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Call our 24/7 referral line
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on
For more information about the child and adolescent services (CAMHS) that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure