Priory’s Adult Eating Disorders Services
Priory works closely with the NHS to provide intensive treatment for people suffering with severe eating disorders. It is the largest single provider of specialist inpatient care in the UK, providing support for both adults and young people with conditions such as anorexia, bulimia or atypical eating disorders.
Community and inpatient teams across Priory, work together to look at the best treatment pathway for each patient in our care. This approach also includes:
- Strong leadership from consultants, experienced in managing complex patients with eating disorders
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary teams with expertise in treating eating disorders
- Participation in national clinical quality forums in order to keep services at the forefront of emerging treatment in eating disorders
- Safe and supportive environments
- Quality in service delivery and training
- Provision of evidence-based treatments
- Access to a wide range of therapeutic interventions
- Treatment tailored to individual needs
- Close working relationships with local community teams
On a case-by-case basis, we will assess disordered eating in the context of other psychiatric disorders and offer the most appropriate treatment for individual needs. Therapeutic work is formulation based, looking at the function of the abnormal eating behaviours, as well as predisposing and maintaining factors. Our care and treatment address both the physical consequences of the eating disorder, as well as the related underlying psychological and social factors.
Our philosophy is one of collaboration and mutual respect. We work to create this atmosphere by listening to patients’ needs and adopting a flexible approach that allows individual needs to be met whenever possible. We adhere to clear, consistent boundaries and our rationale is transparent to patients, families, carers and staff teams alike. We believe this creates an environment of safety, which allows trust to develop, so that patients can explore their feelings, knowing that they will be empathically received.
We use an eclectic model of care, drawing on a variety of evidence-based approaches. The basic aim of treatment is to help to restore a healthier eating pattern, whilst providing psychological support to help with the feelings that emerge during this process.
Who do we support?
We have the ability to treat a constantly evolving group of higher acuity patients. We offer eating disorder treatment to those who meet the following criteria:
- Males and females
- Primary diagnosis of an eating disorder
- May present with an eating disorder that is too high risk, complex, severe or persistent to be managed safely within a community setting
- Patients who may have a high physical/psychiatric risk
- Patients who may have co-morbid conditions
- May be admitted informally or under the Mental Health Act
- May have dual diagnosis or complex needs
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on
For more information about the adult eating disorder services that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure