Priory’s Adult Eating Disorders Services
Priory is the UK's largest independent provider of Eating Disorder Services. We have a national offering of both outpatient and specialist residential services and also offer day care provisions at selected locations.
Eating disorders are treatable and over the years we have helped thousands of people move towards recovery and to lead more fulfilling lives. We pride ourselves on offering quality, personalised treatment for every patient in our care.
- Patients report a 93% overall satisfaction with the quality of care
- 94% of patients said that if a friend or family member needed similar care or treatment, they would recommend this service
- 92% of patients said the clinical staff have the right skills to support them
(Priory Quality Account 2018)
- Strong leadership from consultants experienced in managing complex patients with eating disorders
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary teams with expertise in treating eating disorders
- Participation in national clinical quality forums in order to keep services at the forefront of emerging treatment in eating disorders
- Safe and supportive environments
- Service line network leading on quality in service delivery and training
- Provision of evidence-based treatments
- Access to a wide range of therapeutic interventions
- Treatment tailored to individual needs
- Close working relationships with local community teams
Priory treats patients with a variety of disorders including:
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
- Atypical eating disorders
Our care and treatment address both the physical consequences of the eating disorder, as well as the related underlying psychological and social factors.
Our philosophy is one of collaboration and mutual respect. We work to create this atmosphere by listening to patients’ needs and adopting a flexible approach that allows individual needs to be met whenever possible. We adhere to clear, consistent boundaries and our rationale is transparent to patients, families, carers and staff teams alike. We believe this creates an environment of safety, which allows trust to develop, so that patients can explore their feelings knowing that they will be empathically received.
We use an eclectic model of care, drawing on a variety of evidence-based approaches. The basic aim of treatment is to help to restore a healthier eating pattern whilst providing psychological support to help with the feelings that emerge during this process.
Priory also provides Transitional Living Services for Young People and Young Adults, which includes a residential eating disorders service for males and females aged 18 years and older. For more information, please visit our dedicated location pages for Ashleigh House or The Anchor.
For further information on the approach we adopt within our Eating Disorder Services, including detail on our teams, please view the 'more information' section at the bottom of this page.
Who do we support?
We have the ability to treat a constantly evolving group of higher acuity patients. We offer eating disorder treatment to those who meet the following criteria:
- Males and females
- Aged 18 and above*
- Primary diagnosis of an eating disorder
- May present with an eating disorder that is too high risk, complex, severe or persistent to be managed safely within a community setting
- Patients who may have a high physical/psychiatric risk
- Patients who may have co-morbid conditions
- May be admitted informally or under the Mental Health Act
- May have dual diagnosis or complex needs
*Priory Healthcare also provides a Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders Service.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on