Located on the outskirts of the rural village of Broad Oak in East Sussex, Heathfield is a specialist neurorehabilitation service that provides person-centred, post-acute, neurobehavioural rehabilitation for people with an acquired brain injury (ABI) as well as offering long-term care and support to people with complex needs relating to progressive neurological conditions (PNCs).
At Heathfield, we provide tailored rehabilitation programmes for males and females aged 18 years and over, in a safe, secure and homely environment.
A full multidisciplinary assessment is carried out on admission and the agreed rehabilitation programme is then delivered seven days a week. Well-recognised outcome measures are used to monitor the effectiveness of the rehabilitation.
Individualised timetabled activities are put in place to help residents to establish their independence in areas such as cooking, leisure and daily personal care skills.
Heathfield has 24 beds across two units:
- Boyce Unit – provides care and support for people with PNCs such as Huntington's disease, enabling them to maximise their quality of life whilst reducing any challenging behaviour
- Holman Unit – is focused on providing post-acute neurobehavioural rehabilitation for people who no longer require acute rehabilitation in a medical setting. There is also the opportunity for step-down neurorehabilitation in a self-contained flat on the Holman Unit
We offer a free pre-admission assessment to determine the needs of the individual, followed by a post-admission assessment, with treatment planning from our multidisciplinary team.
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
Environment supporting recovery
Many of our rooms are designed to meet specialist neurorehabilitation needs including profiling beds, overhead range tracking and lots of communal space to assist the rehabilitation process. Our service also includes:
- 24 bedrooms, including 16 en-suite rooms
- High specification profiling beds including a number of these catering for bariatric needs
- Ceiling tracking hoists available in many rooms
- Wet rooms with wheelchair access
- Hydrotherapy bathroom
- Spacious occupational therapy kitchen
- Fully-equipped physiotherapy gym
- A choice of communal lounges and dining areas
- Access to garden areas
- A choice of vehicles adapted to provide wheelchair access, supporting the rehabilitation process and allowing all residents to access the community
- On-site cooks who provide residents with choices for their meals, to eat in our dining rooms
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on
- Brain Injury Services
- Neurophysical Services
- Neurobehavioural Services
- Rehabilitation & Recovery
- Neuropsychiatry, Older Adults and Dementia
- Acquired Brain Injury
- Huntington's Disease
- Korsakoff's Syndrome
- Lewy Body Dementia
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Motor Neurone Disease
- Pick's Disease
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Vascular Dementia