Priory Hospital Burgess Hill provides critical/psychiatric acute care for males with complex mental illnesses.
The hospital is split across two units:
- Elizabeth Anderson – male psychiatric Intensive care
- Edith Cavell – acute male-only service
Our aim is to help patients to live a happier, more independent life.
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
Our expertise enables us to support patients with a high level of risk and challenging behaviours including individuals with high risks of self-harming behaviour and people who may require a period of stabilisation achieved through high dependency care or acute care, depending on their diagnosis.
Our clinical programmes focus on:
- Working collaboratively with the discharge teams to ensure a smooth transition to further support, back into existing community services, or to an individual’s home were possible.
- Restore our patients’ quality of life by providing the therapeutic techniques and coping strategies that are most appropriate.
- Building skills to increase independence to promote people stepping down to care in the least restrictive setting, appropriate to their health
- Substance misuse and addictions treatment support
Therapeutic techniques and coping strategies may include but are not limited to:
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Motivational interviewing
- Anger management
- Trauma treatment
- Family therapy and support
- Physical healthcare programme and education
- Creative activity as therapy
- Compassion focused therapy (CFT)
- Coping skills group
- Offence related therapy (arson, sexualised behaviour)
- Relapse prevention
- Problem solving
- Art psychotherapy
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
If you are from the NHS and would like to make an HDU referral, please call our 24 hour Customer Service Centre on