Priory Hospital Burgess Hill is a specialist service providing care for people with mental illnesses and/or personality disorders. We have a male acute service, high dependency units for males and females, and a specialist personality disorder unit.
The hospital is split across four units:
- Wendy Orr – male, high dependency unit
- Helen Keller – female, high dependency unit
- Edith Cavell – acute male-only service
- Amy Johnson – personality disorders
Amy Johnson is a 10-bedded ward, which helps patients to acquire the skills needed to effectively manage their own emotions, be inter-personally effective and tolerate distress. Our aim is to help patients to live a happier, more independent life.
Our expertise enables us to support patients with a high level of risk and challenging behaviours including individuals with high risks of self-harming behaviour and people who may require a period of stabilisation achieved through high dependency care or acute care, depending on their diagnosis.
Our clinical programmes focus on:
- Rehabilitation onsite and in the community, including programmes that are specifically focused on treating offending and challenging behaviours, and minimising the risk to self and others
- Building skills to increase independence to promote people stepping down to care in the least restrictive setting, appropriate to their health
- Substance misuse and addictions treatments
Treatment programmes are run on a 12-week rotation but with high flexibility so that we can meet the ever-changing needs of each of our patients or residents. The multidisciplinary team meet with the patients regularly to identify their needs, assess engagement levels and whether a group or one-to-one approach is best in each person's case.
Each patient has a recovery/interest checklist which helps them to select from the activities and groups that are available, in a one-to-one session with a member of the occupational therapy team. These then play a part in timetable development.
Therapeutic sessions include but are not limited to:
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Motivational interviewing
- Anger management
- Trauma treatment
- Family therapy and support
- Physical healthcare programme and education
- Creative activity as therapy
- Compassion focused therapy (CFT)
- Coping skills group
- Offence related therapy (arson, sexualised behaviour)
- Relapse prevention
- Problem solving
- Art psychotherapy
We also provide real work opportunities which aim to identify job-specific skills, strengths and experience, develop job-acquisition skills to take on an in-house real work opportunity, give appraisals and reviews and identify roles and employment opportunities outside the hospital setting.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
The Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on