Priory Hospital Cardiff, located just 2.5 miles from the city centre, is a three-bedded, low secure service for males or females with personality disorders, learning disabilities or mental health issues. Care is provided across three bespoke therapeutic wards, each offering specialist, tailored treatment in the least restrictive environments possible.
Our aim is to support our patients to develop their independence skills, enabling them where possible, to transition to community living. Wards can be easily adapted so that they constantly meet the emotional, behavioural and sensory needs of patients.
The provision of recovery is a central part of the care provided throughout Priory Hospital Cardiff, enabling patients to choose to engage in a range of activities that have meaning and purpose, and are necessary for quality of life.
We run a 12-week rotational therapeutic programme to help to address patients’ holistic needs. Programmes are repeated as required to help to manage risk, develop coping strategies and provide insight into specific needs. This includes:
- Individualised therapies
- Positive behaviour support (PBS) provision
- Sessions such as yoga, wildlife group and crafts
Occupational therapists play an important role in identifying the reason for offending behaviour. Within the recovery approach, occupational therapy plays a part in supporting and instilling hope for patients to reach their goals and aspirations.
We believe that the environment in which our therapy takes place, is just as important as the treatment itself and we provide:
- En-suite bedrooms for each individual
- Large ward areas that are accustomed to each individual
- Lounge areas
- Sensory rooms on each ward
- Rehabilitation kitchens on each ward
- Patient shop
- Large grassed gardens
- Smoke free services
- Areas for socialisation i.e. social club
Rehabilitation is led by our specialist and highly experienced clinical team which comprises of:
- A responsible clinician
- Ward managers
- Occupational therapists and therapy assistants
- Social workers
- Clinical or forensic psychologists
Individuals who would benefit from the service provided at Priory Hospital Cardiff:
- Males and females aged 18 years and over, who are detained under the Mental Health Act
- Presenting with a mental illness or personality disorder
- Males and females with a learning Disability or autism spectrum disorder
- Those who often present with complex needs and may present with behaviours that challenge
- May have a forensic history
- May have experienced several failed admissions to other services
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on