Middleton St George, close to Darlington, provides specialist inpatient care for adults with mental health needs, who present with complex needs and behaviours that challenge, in a safe and supportive environment.
The hospital has 101 en-suite beds, across seven wards:
- Hazelwood Ward – female personality disorder service
- Dalton Ward – rehabilitation and recovery for females with complex mental health needs
- Linden Ward – rehabilitation and recovery for males with complex mental health needs
- Thoburn Ward – 24/7 acute mental health admission and treatment service for males and females
- Oak Ward – 24/7 acute mental health admission and treatment service for females
- Chester Ward – female psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU)
- Birch Ward – male PICU
In addition, an off-site step-down community house called Station Road is within easy access of the hospital. This provides a service for three male patients, who have moved through the appropriate care pathway to a supported living environment.
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
Our comprehensive integrated services offer complete care pathways, allowing patients to transfer effortlessly between the most appropriate care, meeting individual needs, enabling recovery and re-engagement within the community, and maximising life opportunities.
As our site is able to offer PICU, acute, and rehabilitation and recovery support within a seamless care pathway, we can provide continuity of care and environment as people’s needs change and fluctuate.
Our multidisciplinary teams work in collaboration with patients and commissioners to deliver individual treatment programmes and adaptable care pathways, to allow individuals to progress towards a less restrictive environment and to independent living.
We believe the environment in which therapy takes place is just as important as the treatment itself. Across our services we provide:
- Significant off-ward, spacious, relaxing and pleasant grounds
- Occupational therapy suite
- Fully equipped central gymnasium
- IT rooms
- Astroturf football pitch
- Patient cafe
- Rehabilitation kitchens
- Multi-faith room
- Access to a GP service
Referrals and admissions
We accept referrals from a wide variety of public sector organisations throughout the UK, including special hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, prisons, courts, medium secure units (MSUs), forensic lead commissioners, social services, NHS Mental Health Trusts, GPs, the police and others.
Our patients can be amongst the most vulnerable members of society and require sensitive therapeutic interventions that encourage self-awareness, knowledge and empowerment.
We offer services for those with a wide range of mental health issues which may include:
- Personality disorder with complex treatment and risk management needs, including factors such as co-morbid mental illness, self-harm or substance misuse
- Mental illness and complex needs
- Primary diagnosis of schizophrenia
- Forensic history, including violence or abuse
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
If you are from the NHS and would like to make an Acute Mental Health referral, please call our 24 hour Customer Service Centre on