Priory Hospital Woodbourne - NHS Services
Priory Hospital Woodbourne in Birmingham, is an independent hospital specialising in the management and treatment of a wide range of mental health conditions. The hospital has an established reputation for providing the highest standards of care.
In partnership with the NHS, Woodbourne provides expert care in the following areas:
- Acute mental health
- Psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU)
- Child and adolescent mental health (CAMHS)
- Adult eating disorders
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
We also provide a private service for the treatment of conditions such as addictions and eating disorders. Funding can be accessed via private medical insurance, or individuals can self-pay. For more information, please visit our dedicated private page.
Services provided at Priory Hospital Woodbourne
Woodbourne’s acute service aims to achieve minimum lengths of stay by providing an extension to NHS care pathways during times of fluctuating demand. Our team works closely with referring Trusts and we work collaboratively with discharge teams, to ensure a smooth transition back into existing community services, or to an individual’s home where possible.
Our acute service is available to those aged 18 - 25 years and beds within this unit are contracted.
The Aspen Unit is a 10-bedded, psychiatric intensive care unit, five of which are contracted. Aspen provides a fast turnaround service where the focus is supporting young adult males aged 18-25, to improve their coping skills in the short term.
Our extensive experience of dealing with young adults with complex needs and challenging behaviours, along with co-existing issues such as substance misuse, puts our service at the forefront of intensive care.
- We have an experienced, skilled and motivated multidisciplinary team
- We have a focus on moving patients to a less restrictive environment once mental state and behaviour has stabilised
- The ward has access to seclusion facilities if necessary
- Our services provide large spacious accommodation, therapy and activity space, with open access to secure gardens
Patients who may present with:
- Acute psychosis or dual diagnosis with a primary mental illness
- Significant and continued risk to themselves or others, and who have a high absconsion risk in non-secure acute settings
- Behaviour and recovery issues related to personality difficulties requiring acute admission in a secure setting
- Severe mood disorder and often self-harming behaviour
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on