"I felt staff treated me very respectfully at all times, even when I was distressed or I didn't make sense. Communication and relationships were excellent."
Kneesworth House Hospital provides high dependency rehabilitation, secure, psychiatric intensive care, and acute services, offering a range of specialist recovery pathways, all at one site. Located in Hertfordshire, within a purpose-built facility and spacious grounds, the hospital also provides acute and psychiatric intensive care, medium and low secure services, and a community focused rehabilitation ward.
Kneesworth House is in the unique position, as a multi-faceted service, to offer complete discharge pathways to its patients. All patients are offered a 12-week individualised treatment timetable, which includes a range of clinical therapies and specialist multidisciplinary team input.
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
Rehabilitation and recovery services
We provide gender-specific rehabilitation services and bespoke packaged of care, with a key focus on developing skills for independence, supporting patients to understand their own relapse prevention strategies and reintegration back into community settings.
Our male services are split across three services:
- Nightingale Ward – 17-bedded high dependency rehabilitation
- Wortham Ward – 17-bedded rehabilitation for those who may require a lower stimulus environment
- The Bungalows and Swift House – 4-bedded wards which provide support in a less restrictive environment, allowing for positive risks to be taken to support a patient to be formally discharged from hospital. the bungalows offer bespoke packages of care and all our open rehabilitation care provides discharge planning
Our female services are split across four wards:
- Wimpole Ward - 12-bedded female-only PICU
- Fairview - 6-bedded rehabilitation service
- Bungalow 65 - 4-bedded, pre-discharge service
Secure and step-down services
Male mental health services:
- Ermine – Medium Secure service
- Clopton – Medium Secure personality disorder (PD) service
- Orwell – Low Secure
- Nightingale – inpatient locked rehabilitation unit
- Wortham – inpatient locked rehabilitation unit
- Swift – open rehabilitation houses
- Bungalows 63, 67 and 69 – open rehabilitation and bespoke therapeutic packages
Female mental health services:
- 12-bedded, female-only PICU
- 6-bedded, inpatient rehabilitation unit
- 4-bedded, pre-discharge ward
- 12-bedded acute unit
Patients at this hospital could also go on to benefit from our specialist secure services care pathway. Priory Suttons Manor provides support for older, more vulnerable patients, who may require a slower paced environment and more specialist care. Located North East of London, Suttons Manor provides longer-term nursing support and maintenance therapy and incorporates both physical and mental health needs.
Kneesworth House offers a wide range of clinical therapies, based on individual needs and assessment. Therapies are delivered both individually and on a group basis. Therapies include:
- Substance misuse treatment programme
- Management of sexual problematic behaviour programme: Developing New Me Part I Foundation Programme and Staying Strong Part 2 Treatment Programme
- Fire setting treatment group: Developing New Me Part I Foundation Programme and Part 2 Treatment Programme
- Various psychoeducational and skills-enhancing group programmes
- Violence offending interventions
- Various therapeutic models in individual therapy such as dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and schema therapy
Foxton Ward is a 12-bedded service for adults males with acute mental health needs. It is split across two areas:
- 4 beds, safe rooms, shared toilet and shower/bath facilities
- 8 beds, shared toilet and shower/bath facilities
Both areas are led by a strong multidisciplinary team (MDT) including a full-time consultant psychiatrist, full-time speciality doctor and full-time ward manager. Nursing staff comprise of qualified RMNs and healthcare assistants.
Our acute services also includes Bourn Ward, a 15-bedded, mixed-gender unit.
Psychiatric intensive care unit (PICU)
Kneesworth House provides a female PICU service for individuals who present with significant and continued risk to themselves or others. They may also have a high absconding risk in non-secure acute environments.
This service is a 24 hours a days, 7 days a week emergency ward and patients can be admitted from A&E, the judicial system, other PICUs, community services and other mental health settings.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form