Ty Catrin is a low secure mental illness and personality disorder service for males and females who require a medium-term placement and recovery-orientated specialist treatment in order to progress on their care pathway towards rehabilitation care.
The facility is split into six wards, along with semi-independent flats on-site. The ward breakdown is as follows:
- Heath – 3-bedded locked rehabilitation ward for females with mental illnesses and personality disorders
- Roath – 8-bedded low secure ward for males with mental illnesses and personality disorders
- Sophia - 8-bedded low secure ward for females with mental illnesses and personality disorders
- Trelai – 4-bedded low secure ward for females with mental illnesses and personality disorders
- Victoria – 11-bedded low secure ward for females with mental illnesses and personality disorders
- Bute Ward – 11-bedded low secure ward for males with mental illnesses and personality disorders
Our aim is to rebuild the patient's confidence, self-esteem and hopes for the future and to give them the knowledge and resources to manage their own health so that they can manage their own sustainable recovery.
All interventions aim to help the patient to understand the effect of their behaviour on others, to help them to manage the impact of external triggers on their behaviour and ultimately to promote the concept of recovery.
Social integration and the formation of friendships is an integral part of recovery. Within Ty Catrin we organise regular social events such as film nights, quiz evenings and even a summer fete, in order to enhance leisure time and assist in the development of social skills for the patient group.
Focus on Safety
Our absolute priority is to make sure we operate safe and effective services 24/7 and that all staff understand what is required of them to make that happen. Click here to read more.
We believe that the environment in which our therapy takes place, is just as important as the treatment itself and we provide:
- Secure gardens
- Bedrooms with en-suite shower rooms, some of which are suitable for disabled use
- Allotments and a polytunnel greenhouse
- Arts and crafts rooms including woodwork activities
- Gym/fitness suite
- IT suite
- Relaxation areas
- Large ‘piazza’ communal area including pool table, table tennis, projector screen
- Family visiting suite
- Group therapy rooms
- Intensive care suite
- Pharmacist services
- Easy access into the Cardiff area, with the use of public transport
- Advocacy services
- Links with the local police, providing support and education on-site
Ty Catrin has a strong step-down process for patients which includes access to an on-site pre-discharge flat, as well as specialist residential community-facing units and supported independent living accommodation.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on