Learning disabilities and autism NHS Service
Priory offers specialist inpatient services for individuals with learning disabilities, and those who are or may be on the autistic spectrum, through our nationwide network of dedicated facilities. Our full care pathway is made up of Priory’s Medium and Low Secure Services, our Rehabilitation and Recovery Services and community rehabilitation.
Our focus is on empowering individuals, developing confidence, and helping people overcome barriers that are limiting their ability to live full and satisfying lives.
We provide expert treatment and support through bespoke therapy, to help stabilise an individual’s mental health, enabling as many people in our care as possible to develop or re-develop their social, educational and vocational skills. Our ultimate aim is to help them progress to a more positive future and, where possible, successful semi-independent or independent living.
We recognise that no two individuals are the same and so provide a flexible approach to recovery that is adapted to suit the needs of the patient.
- Respect for patients and promotion of autonomy
- Specialist diagnostic assessment and treatment for learning disabilities and autism
- Identification of co-morbid mental illness and subsequent treatment as indicated
- Rationalised use of psychoactive medication
- Skills development to promote independence
- Multidisciplinary formulation
- Targeted and adapted psychological interventions such as mindfulness and dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- High standards of care in safe and appropriate environments
- Full care pathways from hospital placements through to supported living services in the local community
- Therapeutic engagement activities, real work opportunities (RWO) and educational programmes on and off site
The guiding principles that underpin our philosophy and standards of care include:
- Care which is personalised, holistic and which focuses on the whole person, including their abilities, needs and aspirations, with particular attention paid to an individual's functional performance and its enhancement
- Use of recovery model principles
- Positive behaviour support programmes within selected services
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Call our 24/7 referral line
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on
For more information about rehabilitation and recovery services that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure