Personality disorders NHS services
Priory provides comprehensive rehabilitation services for people with personality disorders and complex mental health needs. We align our offering with the Joint Commissioning Panel for Mental Health, ensuring our patients are given the right care to enable quick and smooth transitions into local services wherever possible.
Within our Rehabilitation and Recovery Services, we have a dedicated clinical network of wards that specialise in treating personality disorder. Priory offers the highest-quality service and treatment to help improve the lives of those living with this condition. Difficulties within social, occupational, and other important areas of functioning, are quite common with personality disorders, and Priory is here to help.
- Highest quality of service and treatment for emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD)
- Service for those most vulnerable – importance of safety and validation
- Individualised care pathways in the least restrictive environments possible
- Comprehensive dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) programmes enabling lasting change
- Comprehensive and expert multidisciplinary teams
Our care pathway includes:
- Ending or reducing problem behaviours, including self-harm and suicidal actions
- Increasing skills to ensure positive behaviours in the future
- Ensuring progressive journeys back into the community, where appropriate
- Focusing on meaningful and fulfilling life goals – a life worth living
We ensure a clear care pathway is provided for each individual patient, from admission to discharge. The pathway is dependent on identified needs and levels of provision required.
Led by an experienced multidisciplinary team, all personality disorder services provide the following treatment and facilities:
- Group sessions and individual work
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for specific problem areas
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT)
- Trauma therapy
- Active health promotion initiatives
- Comprehensive risk management
- A model based on recovery principles
- GP services
Our aim throughout treatment is to significantly improve the individual’s level of functioning, to cope independently, wherever possible, and to improve quality of life, particularly outside of the clinical environment. We also strive to:
- Identify and manage risk situations/triggers
- Support access to community services when required
- Access age-appropriate leisure and social activities in the community
- Encourage healthy relationships
- Provide meaningful productive activity, i.e. voluntary work, work placements or paid employment
- Provide access to community services to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle
- Empower patients to move forward to a future they have planned and worked hard for, wherever possible
Most patients will be in treatment as inpatients for 12-24 months; the duration of treatment varies with each person’s particular individual needs.
Priory facilities which provide this service include Priory Hospital Middleton St George (Darlington), Priory Hospital Burgess Hill (West Sussex), Priory Hospital Cheadle Royal in Manchester and Priory Hospital Pelham Woods.
Enquiries and Referrals
For further information on Priory services offered to the NHS, or to make a referral, please call our dedicated 24/7 customer service centre on 0800 090 1356. Alternatively, click here to submit an enquiry form
Priory is ready to take emergency placements 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for adult acute mental health, adult eating disorders, CAMHS and PICU. To make a referral please call us on
For more information about rehabilitation and recovery services that Priory offer, download our brochure.Get our brochure