What is one to one therapy?
One to one therapy, also known as individual therapy or counselling, is an effective and commonly used treatment method for mental health conditions and addictions.
This therapeutic approach is delivered on an individual basis, meaning only you and a therapist will be involved in a therapy session. This differs from group therapy, which is done in a group setting where people sit with their peers and discuss their experiences.
One to one therapy offers personalised attention and care that helps you better understand and cope with your emotions, thoughts, and behaviours. This type of therapy offers a safe, confidential space for you to explore your thoughts and feelings with a trained professional. In these sessions, the therapist's primary goal is to help you gain insight into concerns you may have and develop effective coping strategies.
The benefits of one to one therapy
One to one sessions are highly effective in the treatment of a wide range of mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety and stress, eating disorders, a broad range of addictions. It can also be effective for young people who are struggling with a mental health problem.
There are many benefits of one to one therapy, such as:
- Personalised treatment: one to one therapy allows for customised treatment plans tailored to individual needs, goals, and preferences. Your therapist can adjust their approach and techniques as needed to ensure the most effective care possible.
- Confidentiality: in a one to one therapy session, confidentiality is of utmost importance. You can feel comfortable discussing your personal struggles, knowing that your information will remain private.
- Emotional support: a strong therapeutic relationship can provide you with emotional support and validation, which can be crucial in promoting mental health and wellbeing.
- Skill development: one to one therapy can help you develop essential skills, such as problem-solving, communication, and emotional regulation, that can improve your overall functioning and quality of life.
- Enhanced self-awareness: through one to one therapy, people can gain a deeper understanding of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviours, leading to increased self-awareness and personal growth.
Some changes to your behaviour can be a sign you could benefit from seeing a therapist.
You may be:
- Feeling anxious and overwhelmed with everything
- Overthinking and feeling as though you’re unable to ‘switch off’ from your thoughts
- Getting angry more easily or struggling to regulate your emotions
- Sleeping or eating more or less than usual
- Avoiding socialising with other people
- Feeling hopeless and as though there’s no way out
- Using substances such as drugs or alcohol to help you get through the day
- Having thoughts of harming yourself or feeling as though you don’t want to be here anymore
What happens in a one to one therapy session?
A variety of therapy types that can take place in a one to one format, including cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT). Depending on the condition you’re struggling with, a therapist or counsellor will determine which type of therapy you would benefit from. It’s likely that a therapist will recommend a combination of different therapy types, as well as formats, to help you manage your condition.
When you’re starting therapy, the initial stage involves building a trusting and supportive relationship between you and your therapist. This rapport is crucial in creating a safe environment for open and honest communication.
In a therapy session, you and your therapist will set realistic, achievable goals for therapy. These goals will serve as a roadmap, guiding the therapeutic process and helping to measure progress. Your therapist will use different therapeutic techniques to help you address your concerns and achieve the goals that have been set.
Throughout the therapy process, your therapist will regularly evaluate your progress. This allows your therapist to adjust your treatment plan as needed to ensure the most effective care.
One to one therapy at Priory
One to one therapy can be delivered at our Priory hospital sites as well as via our extensive wellbeing centre network. Our therapy sessions ensure that your concerns are addressed in a personalised and comprehensive manner, in order to produce the best possible outcomes for you. Depending on the level of therapeutic input you need, one to one therapy can be accessed with Priory’s intensive inpatient treatment programmes, as well as our flexible day care and outpatient treatment options.
One to one therapy is a highly effective and versatile treatment option for people facing various mental health conditions and addictions. Its numerous benefits, including personalised treatment, confidentiality, emotional support, skill development, and enhanced self-awareness, make it an essential part of the mental health care.
Whether you are seeking help for yourself or a loved one, understanding what happens in a one to one therapy session can ease any anxiety about starting the therapeutic process. With the guidance of a skilled therapist, you can gain valuable insights, develop essential skills, and work towards a healthier, more fulfilling life.